Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pictures are self evident. My beams are not the same. Yes, they need adjusting, the passenger side needs to come down and the driver's side needs to go up, but will that change the way these 2 beams look? Also, note the color difference. You can tell it on the road too. I have already sent Xenon Depot an e-mail and am awaiting a response. Any suggestions from you guys?

·
In Your Mouth
430 Posts
natypes said:
Tried adjusting them, but they don't seem to move. I am getting angry.
I have a XD kit and have a similar problem. The right light looks more purple. But I also have the JDM housings which affects the beam\angle. Have someone else drive your car and see how they look. That's what I did and I didn't notice too much of a differnece when the car was moving.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
hmm, that's odd.

I know there is a leveling screw in the back ou the housing, but that's pretty much all I know about. Try asking steve

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I recieved my e-mail back from them (really quick I might add). He suggested cleaning the bulb, exchanging it with the passenger side to see if it was the housing and said that basically all bulbs are not created equally. Some may have a yellowish hue. I did get them aimed correctly. You have to turn that screw about 50 rounds to get the light to aim 1 inch lower. I just was not turning it enough earlier for fear of screwing it completely out. But, I found out it is not that kind of screw. But, the beam is still not as good as the other passenger side, so when the weather gets better I am going to clean it.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
natypes said:
Yeah, I recieved my e-mail back from them (really quick I might add). He suggested cleaning the bulb, exchanging it with the passenger side to see if it was the housing and said that basically all bulbs are not created equally. Some may have a yellowish hue. I did get them aimed correctly. You have to turn that screw about 50 rounds to get the light to aim 1 inch lower. I just was not turning it enough earlier for fear of screwing it completely out. But, I found out it is not that kind of screw. But, the beam is still not as good as the other passenger side, so when the weather gets better I am going to clean it.
Just out of curiosity, how do you actually clean the bulbs? I thought that you arent supposed to touch them because if the oil or anything gets on it, it could make the bulb blow when it's turned on. Do you have to use some special type of solution to clean the bulbs?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am not sure why the color is different. But the beam pattern looks just like mine, as well as others who put HID in USDM housing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
you know that screw you turn to adjust the light up and down, will something break if you turn it too much, or is there a limit to how much you can turn it?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^.^ said:
you know that screw you turn to adjust the light up and down, will something break if you turn it too much, or is there a limit to how much you can turn it?
I don't think so b/c I turned mine for like 2 minutes straight just to get mine adjusted. I though I was turning too much, but you have to turn it a lot.

As for the beam pattern looking like everyone elses, the beam pattern is different from each light on my car. I can see the reflection of them on the tailgates of trucks on the road and they look quite a bit different.

Also, you clean them w/ a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. That is what XD said. That did not work for me. The f'ed up bulb has what looks like condensation in one of the 'bubbles' inside the bulb. XD did not respond to my last e-mail.

I know some of you are thinking they are aimed differently, but in person you can see the driver's side is yellow and the passenger side is blue and everyone I showed them to said the same thing.

Here are a couple of more pics

·
atl
351 Posts
I have the same problem except its not to the extent of yours. I just got them installed a week ago also. I'll try taking some pics as well. You'd expect better quality for 500+ dollars.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have some what similiar problems. I blame them on alignment. Any shift in alignment will effect the way the HID looks because if you arent looking at it from the way it was designed you get a sort of "color shift" if you will. Yea i know its not a projector we're talking about but the color of the light will be different based on the intensity in which you view it.

For natypes yes the problem is alignment. Because the way the bulb is pointed, it is reflecting off a different part of the housing which is why you get the semi circle. Its pointed too low which is the same problem with mine. Your second picture is withint the acceptable threshold so that the light actually reflects somewhat off the housing in the correct way. So just get it realigned by Acura. It'll run you some cash...but it'll fix your problem.

For Parks82, man...im sorry about your lights...that is no alignment problem. It sorta seems like the intensity of both bulbs are different. I'd get that checked out or changed. It looks really weird...

·
Registered
78 Posts
gqbluez said:
For Parks82, man...im sorry about your lights...that is no alignment problem. It sorta seems like the intensity of both bulbs are different. I'd get that checked out or changed. It looks really weird...
Do you think it would be a ballast problem because they ignite ok but seem to lose power in the 10 second warm up... I am getting a replacement ballast sent to me as everyone that has seen it here thinks that it is a power issue and not a bulb issue. :thumbsdow

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gqbluez said:
For natypes yes the problem is alignment. Because the way the bulb is pointed, it is reflecting off a different part of the housing which is why you get the semi circle. Its pointed too low which is the same problem with mine. Your second picture is withint the acceptable threshold so that the light actually reflects somewhat off the housing in the correct way. So just get it realigned by Acura. It'll run you some cash...but it'll fix your problem.
Well, I have adjusted them all the way up and down and I have the same problem. When I first installed them it was pointing straight down, then I adjusted it and was blinding people, then adjusted it again and it is still yellow. We don't have projectors so the light output should not matter. Projectors being off causes the light to look different colors, that is why cars you meet w/ projectors have lights that seem to flicker and change colors. Our beam concentration is not that small.

parks, mine look exactly like yours. My pics were not as good though. I will take some more tonight to better illustrated the problem.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
how long have both of you had the HID's?

·
Registered
78 Posts
couple weeks before the problem,, they were great to start then i dont know what happened... maybe a month in total ive had em. :blah:

·
Registered
198 Posts
did you make sure not to put either of them upside down. They can be a yellowish color one way and the hid color the other way. It just depends if you have them both in there the same direction. Also, make sure that they are flush up against the housing, cause if not, it will give it that odd shaped beam pattern. I've had my fair share of HID problems because i made the 2k2 maxima hids fit into the housings.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
They shouldn't be yellow that quickly. Sounds like it may be defective. Its a comon problem i believe. Its happening to a lot of guys.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts