Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
i tried GS27 or GT88...... the filler thingy with those pastel-like sticks on my prelude......... it made the scratches a lot less noticable......... but will never get rid of it......... or you should first try the one with the white "creamy" kind scratch remover (also by GS27 or GT88).......... that might work........ i was able to remove some other scratches with that.......... then for the ones that don't work...... use the filler......... (the filler one might also run off after a few weeks or so or in the rain........ but just reapply again and soon it won't come off that easily.......)

those stuff i am not supporting them as what they do in commericals like removing it totally (the cream did okay on light scratches)....... but the filler is just more of a hider than a repairer........ well...... i think it hides it well enuf consider it's only a couple of bucks compared to a paint job.........

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
I've used Scratch-X before and it worked fine, but if your friends are telling you that it's too deep to buff, then it's going to be too deep for Scratch-X.

I don't know why the shops can't repaint it. They should be able to do a touch up and lightly sand and buff the excess paint smooth. You just need to find a good shop.

You might as well try Scratch-X since it's handy to have onhand anyway, it's not expensive (compared to a repaint), and if it works then the problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thats sounds tough. One thing I can tell you is that tyhose miracle scratch removers in a bottle rarely work on anything serious. They also dont last long - because they are trying to add colour to replace paint - and it wont bond.

The Zaino Z5 switl scratch remover also does NOT remove swirls or scratches. It does hide them also - the manner in which it does it is different than most other things out there. But, it is not a miracle in a bottle for serious scratches.

3M makes a line of liquid scratch removers, buffers etc - that you may want to investigate - however I do caution against using anything that is abrasive on a nice new shiny paint job as it digs into the clearcoat.

Looks like black to me ? I have a crappy monitor and connection, so i cant ne positive . . its the toughest

I cant belive a shop wont try to buff or even wetsand , or something - I mean if they talked about a repaint - why not try that first? if it doesnt work - then they are going to paint it anyways.

but first - have a look at this

www.langka.com they have a product that makes factory touch-up paint look way better than it ever has when the job is done. I have a sample bottle at home - and will be trying it in a few weeks on my car, but I have seen some positive reviews for other users in the States.

Good Luck

Dennis

G

·
Scratch

From what it looks like, I don't see why a competent body shop in your area can lightly sand the area with a soft pad and some 3000 grit sanding paper and polish it. I fix these for customers often. They take patience, however it could at least soften the scratch and make it less noticable. Look at this link to see how it would be fixed: http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=color_sanding

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well there it is a no go on the color sanding. I brought my car to my friend’s dad’s, dealer shop that he works at. They all took a look at it, and said that the sanding would leave a hallo of discoloration around the sanded area. They said that I should try a colored wax, so I when to Wal-Mart (because they no longer make the gs27with the color filters) and bought some turtle wax/polish with a wax/lipstick kind of thing attached to it for deep scratches. It helps hide the scratch better, in fact from you can really only see it now from certain angles. I am going to try reapplying for the next few weeks to see if it helps out more. The bad thing is it works better on cold surfaces and here in STL it is starting to get colder as we head towards winter but, I have a insulated garage so it never drops below freezing, and some halogen lights will warm it up very quickly . ;)

Thanks for all your help and I hope this will help some one else,

jt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.