Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Governor of Calilfornia
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got mine installed.. They look nice and are pretty bright, but they need to be aimed and the beam pattern is terrible. Is there anything I can do to correct the beam pattern for HID retrofits?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, Other than checking that the bulbs are tight in their housings....there isn't much. I have the same complaint, they do put the light down and very few people High-Beam me, I have had several cops see my vehicle and they just think all Acuras come with HIDs :laughing:

·
DNA all over bish!
1,989 Posts
Are these D2s bulbs perchance? If they are then you can attribute the bad beam pattern to those particular bulbs. Try to find some rebased D2R bulbs that will work with the McCulloch ballasts. D2Rs you may know, are compatible with our headlamps. They beam pattern is good too.

·
Governor of Calilfornia
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These bulbs are the ones that came with the SuperHID kit.

SpeeDemoN, thanks but actually the problem with beam pattern is because the light produced by a HID bulb is in a different location than the light produced from a halogen, so it doesn't match up with the headlight enclosure's focal point. If I can find a way to make it line up (if possible; the HID bulb produces a larger, different shaped light source, and halogen bulbs are close to isotropic) then it should produce a decent beam pattern regardless of how bright it is. I was just hoping someone would know some magic trick to get the bulb to seat at the perfect spot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah, Kremlin, he's right. HID's are the most overpriced overrated item ever. If you do a real HID retro fit w/ projectors you can get a good beam pattern. Or if you buy those ugly ass RSX projectors.

I am about to do a bi xenon projector retro fit on my motorcycle. If I can, I know it can be done, but can I do it? :D

·
Governor of Calilfornia
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm..... Maybe I'll look into a decent retrofit, I guess for now I'll fiddle with it and see how good I can get it.

I got the kit delivered to my door for $260 US, so that's not too bad ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm with SpeeDemoN, I had them and I liked them but I wanted more definition, so I am in the process of retrofitting projectors into an extra set of headlights that I have. Even though I have ran into problems along the way, I'm slowly jumping through them and it will be worth it once it is finnished.

·
Governor of Calilfornia
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm trying to figure out a way I can get a retrofit cheaply now.

Last night I had to drive home in a blizzard (yes, Canadian May blizzards..) and the glare from my headlights going up lit up the snow immediately in front of the windshield so bad I could barely see. If I had known the visibility would be this bad, there is no way I would have bought these..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.