Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed my xenondepot 4100k kit on tuesday and its been looking good ever since. Today after washing my car and putting the hose up i noticed the HIDs were on except for the fact that i never turned them on. This happened a total of 3 times so far, the HIDs would just randomly turn on after a given amount of time and stay on, the tail lights or the parking lights dont turn on either. I think it has to do with the water from washing the car but i'm not sure. The HIDs are grounded to the same spot the SRS modules in the front are.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just turn the lights on like normal and the parking light/tail lights come on and the HIDs just stay on. If i want to turn it off i just turn it off like normal. its really weird.. i dunno if its still doing this cause i took the fuse out

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
sounds like the water is closing the circuit somewhere. Check and be sure the electrical tape is covered real well, especially in the wire harness / relay (depending on your setup). This is what will trigger your lights to turn on.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, i was thinking of something happening to the relay, but i dont feel like taking off my bumper right now to check it out, maybe tomorrow.

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
yep, its the relay.. be careful cause u'll damage the relay soon.. in fact, i think your relay WILL suffer damage.

this happened to my friend and his relay was toasted a week later..

·
Registered
38 Posts
kabe said:
well i just turn the lights on like normal and the parking light/tail lights come on and the HIDs just stay on. If i want to turn it off i just turn it off like normal. its really weird.. i dunno if its still doing this cause i took the fuse out
This is my theory- water is getting into your relay and shorting the normally open contacts allowing current to flow from your battery to your HID system thus turning them on. Then, when you go and turn on your lights you energize the coil in the relay, normally open contacts close and the HID system remains on. When you turn off your lights the coil deenergizes thus opening the closed contacts which displaces the trapped water and your lights turn off.
Next time they turn on by themselves try shaking the relay or using a hair dryer to try and displace any trapped water. If your lights turn off when you do this you know you have an improperly sealed relay.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
easy way to fix this is go to radio shack in the PC boards, LED, and "electronic projects" section. They sell little black plastic "project" boxes. Basically these are ABS black plastic boxes that people use to build electronic shit for prototypes and stuff. Use this to completely encase the relay as it will do a good job. Maybe shave a little off the edges to allow the wires to sqeeze through, but DO allow the wires to get pinched to keep a tight seal.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea i've seen those but i was just gonna get a plastic bag and wrap it around the relay and then tape off the edge of it.

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
just use a rubber balloon and some silicone and ziptie it tight as fark...

·
Registered
38 Posts
kabe said:
yea i've seen those but i was just gonna get a plastic bag and wrap it around the relay and then tape off the edge of it.
Since you say you just got your kit I would suggest getting a replacement from xd and tell them to make sure they don't send you one where water can get in. Good solid state relays should come completely sealed and water proof. You shouldn't have to spend the extra time, gas, money or a cheap fix to this problem when they should have sent you good quality product in the first place. That's just my attitude.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm... so now they dont even turn on, wth. I was gonna go somewhere tonight and they turned on normally, after a few seconds they both just turned off and now it wont turn back on. When i turn the lights on nothing happens but when i turn it off i hear this "click" which i suppose is the ballast or relay or whichever makes the noise. i'm gonna go check this out, post some suggestions please! will email xenondepot later tonight about it.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright, so i just disconnected the relay and was looking at it and everything looks fine. Then i plugged it back in and turned on the lights and still nothing, then about 10 seconds later they just magically turned on and now they're still on. Gonna see if they go out again, this is starting to piss me off.

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
kabe said:
hmm... so now they dont even turn on, wth. I was gonna go somewhere tonight and they turned on normally, after a few seconds they both just turned off and now it wont turn back on. When i turn the lights on nothing happens but when i turn it off i hear this "click" which i suppose is the ballast or relay or whichever makes the noise. i'm gonna go check this out, post some suggestions please! will email xenondepot later tonight about it.

i told u they would break.. u need a new relay.. contact steve @ xenondepot for one.. sorry this had to happen to you.. next time mount them where ur sure it wont get wet..

on ur next relay, go buy a balloon.. streech the balloon over the relay so that the relay is inside the balloon, then put silicone around the base of the balloon (where u'd blow air in) and then take a zip tie and zip the base TIGHT so no water can get in..

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea its the relay but its not broken... yet. I took it off and i can see theres some water around it so i'm gonna see if i can dry it. When i was messing with it i could bang the relay against the bumper and it would flicker on and if i bang it again it would go off

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
its pretty much broken once water gets inside.. u can dry it and see if its still salvagable but consider it dead.. u might see some white/blue crust start to form around the opening of the relay

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea i do see some white stuff around one of the prongs =( I opened the relay up and i found some moist mud in the corner of the housing... i dont know how that much mud got in there since the relay has a pretty tight connection between the two parts. How much would the relay cost if i were to get it one? i dont really want to wait for another one to come in.

kind of blurry, i couldnt get it to focus well

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts