Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the longest time, I was in the market for some kind of hid system. I contemplated slapping in a XD kit into the oem housings. However, they're reflector-based and designed for the intensity of halogen bulbs, nothing more. I really wanted jdm diy blackouts as well. Authentic JDM headlamps weren't justiable to me because for one thing I didn't want to be a potential hazard on the road blinding the shit out of oncoming traffic. I spent weeks doing research to see if I could find a plan of action that would best get me the performance and looks that I wanted in an HID system (housing blackouts, and a kit that wouldn't be overly glary/jarring). Dissapointed that there weren't such aftermarket HID kits out there that would best meet my expectations I looked into retrofitting. Civic owners have retrofitted their headlamps for ages. And I thought to myself, "why not do it?" The oem RSX headlamps are big and an excellent choice to work with.

That's when I had purchased ECE (European) code Audi A6 projectors, generation 4 hella ballasts (w/ separate ignitors, and a more bullet-proof ballast design), and Philips d2S bulbs that I begun to realize that the complexity of a good retrofit was beyond my caliber of skill. Me, being a fcuktard didn't take into account the physics of the optics involved: the alignment of the projectors, redirection of stray light, and to retain the functionality of the stock aiming dials. What I originally thought was a simple "cleave hole, put in projectors, seal up" sort of simplicity turned out to be much harder than anticipated. This isn't a walk in the park. There are many factors that you have to take into account.
(Check out pictures of my projectors and HID components before they were installed here

This was before I came across Patkalolo's thread about his retrofitted headlamps. You guys might remember that he had his headlamps retrofitted with ECE Audi A6 bixenon projectors(integrated high/low HIDs), quite similar to the projectors that I had bought. I pmed him and he referred me to the guys at HIDTECH. I emailed HIDTECH and right off the bat I was delivered a detailed response. Trust me, I emailed them every concievable concern you could evar have! I'd hate to be the person on the recieving end :D. I emailed both them and illusion-lighting (which some of you may know is a particularly well-known retrofitting business). I decided to go with HIDTECH. I was so impressed by their expertise and courteous business responses.They allayed any fears I had of retrofitting and explained to me step-by-step the modifications they would have to do to accomplish a flawless job. I ate that shit up! I decided to have them retrofit my headlamps for me. Best investment ever! The guys were so meticulous about my lamps. What originally was supposed to be a few days to finish, turned out to be about a week. They encouraged me to let them test and troubleshoot my headlamps longer so that they could work out any kinks (not like there were any to begin with.) They sent me pictures of their progress just to make sure that I was satisfied. That's a plus in my book. So the total turnover time came out to about a week and half. They impressed me with their business practices and then some.

So, I paid about 300 for the parts alone and about 550 total for labor. Which included mounting/securing projectors, fabrication of projector shields, blacking out headlamps to reduce glare (So it does serve some purpose besides just aesthetics :) ), wiring, weatherproofing, and at an small additional cost, mounting/securing the hella optilux angel eyes. Was the cost worth it? Ecstatically, yes! every penny in fact! HIDTECH's prices are very competitive.

You cannot imagine how loony I was when I recieved the return shipment from UPS. I could've sworn that the UPS guy thought I was a little too guy happy :laughing: The pictures they sent were enough to make me :drool:. Imagine how it was when I busted those babies out the first time. I could've made love to them. That's disturbing, and it is, but you had to be there :eek:

These are some sample pics of how the projectors looked before I installed them:

pic of the headlamps after I finished making a wiring harness.

I was unduly amazed at the craftsmanship and effort that HIDTECH had put into my lamps. They were furnished with TLC :)

When I installed those suckers my eyes popped out my head omg. I was truly spellbound. You think bimmers and their projectors have visual flair just wait until you get a load of these. European lighting standardization is more strict than NHTSA here. Which means that my projectors cannot have stray light above the cut-off (hence the real colorful flicker effect, more pronounced than oem ones here.), be able to spread light much wider, and disperse light much farther. The effect here is astounding. When I'm cruising late at night with no cars around on a 4-lane highway I literally light up the road like there's a sun patch trailing ahead of me. The coloshifting effect is awesome. The slightest bobble and the result is jizztastic prismatic brilliance. It throws out all kinds of hues of blue/purple/white. Also, I even had the cut-off shields modified to make it even more aggressive (not that it wasn't already). I'll let some pics do the talking...on the next post because I maxed out my attachments :laughing:

All in all, I love my retrofitted headlamps. What I basically got was
a. professional diy blackouts (glossy :thumbsup: )
b. superb HID performance
c. OEM-like finish. I dare say they look even better than some oem set-ups out thurrr.
d. exclusivity

Feel free to pm me or contact me if you would like some more information. I would be more than happy to help anyone interested. Sorry for the long thread everyone. I finally let-off some of the good ol' lazy juice to do this. And props to Patkalolo! :bow:

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
part 2: Pics of headlamps in action

beam pattern up close. NOTE that this was taken on an uneven surface so the pattern looks tilted.

beam pattern from about 45~50ft away

close up of beam pattern. Notice the solid band of purple/blue that runs across the entire length of the cut-off. that's what correlates to the aggressive flicker effect.

colorshifting threshold

booyah! money shot! NOTE that this is what a oncoming viewer would see if approaching my car from the driver side. It would be pure white in the middle then the farther you moved from each extreme (left or right) it would begin to colorshift from white -->shades of blue-->shades of purple. You just have to see it in person to really appreciate the unique colorshifting.

beam pattern on ground, in well-lit area. See those bushes all the waayy down there :wavey:

beam pattern in a pretty dark place. I specifically chose this place because there was a lot of objects and I wanted to emphasize the far-reaching effect of the beam. NOTE that the passenger side is aimed a bit high. I took these pictures before I aim them properly. The beam pattern is much more orderly and concise now :D

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
i also want some non blurry hids but the cost is too much for me, so i just jumped on the band wagon and joined the hid group buy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Would you like to tell us the price or should this be a PM thing. Very curious

shit..... nevermind......helped if I read the enitre post

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's a little long. My bad. Seeing how big this thing is I didn't want to make explanations too sketchy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Forgot to say ABSOLUTE SICKNESS....... props man!

·
Ur Post Count Means Nada!
4,510 Posts
ShoDaoGUN said:
NOTE that the passenger side is aimed a bit high. I took these pictures before I aim them properly. The beam pattern is much more orderly and concise now :D
Why did you have to adjust the beam pattern? Was it not very close to perfect to begin with? Also, was adjusting them made easy by HIDTECH? Or did you have to really mess with it? You basically did the DIY headlamps and HIDTECH did the rest right?
It looks AMAZING!!!
-Jalal

·
<3 Convertibles
1,727 Posts
Holy fucking crap.
Sorry for the language but that is amazing....
Now I gotta save up money for this, and give HIDtech a line. And buy new HID bulbs.
The headlights look beautiful unlike the ugliness of the genesis projectors.
congrats, very nice work

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
static free: you can expect to pay about $700 if you don't provide the parts themselves. That's a bargain considering how your get performance that exceeds oem lighting here.

MJ23FE: They're pre-aimed so that the beam pattern isn't tilted and leveled accordingly. You want a beam that is completely horizontal and not arched up or down. When I said aiming I meant moving the beam up or down with the stock adjustors.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts