Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ture that u should fill ur car once amonth with the highest octane to clean it out? I have the base rsx and was wondein if i could do this?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Base model's recommended gas is not the premium?? So only the type-s is required to use the 93octane or above I guess??

·
you will bow to me
3,938 Posts
chadwick4545 said:
is it ture that u should fill ur car once amonth with the highest octane to clean it out? I have the base rsx and was wondein if i could do this?
Higher octane will actually make things "dirtier" as it will likely not combust completely. It is not a good idea to run octane higher than what the engine is designed for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you use a fuel with an octane rating below the requirement of the engine,
the management system may move the engine settings into an area of less
efficient combustion, resulting in reduced power and reduced fuel economy.
You will be losing both money and driveability. If you use a fuel with an
octane rating higher than what the engine can use, you are just wasting
money by paying for octane that you can not utilise. The additive packages
are matched to the engines using the fuel.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use chevron techron Fuel injector cleaner or whatever after every oil change. You can get them at costco in packs of 4 for 12 bucks. As long you pump reputable gas you should be fine.

·
Banned
26,327 Posts
S-Driver said:
You could do that...its just a matter of preference....but I've heard that using high octane gives you more mileage

stop making shit up. You need to stop whoring and making stupid stuff up.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
Kyte said:
Base model's recommended gas is not the premium?? So only the type-s is required to use the 93octane or above I guess??
Base / CDN Premium = 87
Type S = 91

The Chevron near me has 92 rather than 91... I'll admit that I don't get stellar mileage, about normal to everyone else.

I've never heard that you should run a higher octane to clean out the system though. I know running a higher octane will give you less power.
I also know that running too low an octane will cause knocking, and the knock sensors will put the car into a gimp mode to compensate.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
I use 89 for my base auto. I figure giving it something slightly better than the lowest minimum is probably better. But too high isn't good either, so 89 sounds good to me.

Whenever I've used too high of an octane on my 1990 Civic it would just eat the gas up. I'd end up spending more and using more. So I also used 89 on that car as well. As a rule of thumb, follow the manual and if you want to give it slightly bit higher octane you should be fine. I personally wouldn't go pouring 93 or something like that in my base, however.

·
I Hate Calvin Stickers
570 Posts
Frosty said:
I've never heard that you should run a higher octane to clean out the system though. I know running a higher octane will give you less power. I also know that running too low an octane will cause knocking, and the knock sensors will put the car into a gimp mode to compensate.
So is there a car on the market that actually needs 93 octane? Or is 93 a marketing ploy to make money since a car may actually use more gas if a higher-than-recommended value is used?

·
Hypnotize
85,238 Posts
-Octane rating is a system based on 100.

-Octane is actually a fuel that is (or was, a long time ago) very hard to compress to the stage of spontaneous combustion.

-An octane rating for a fuel is showing how much compression the fuel can withstand without spontaneously combusting, relative to the fuel Octane (if the fuel in question is as compressable as octane, then it would be 100 octane, if less, then the rating will be less, and similiarly if higher, than the rating wuold be higher).

All of your engines were designed to run optimally on a specific Octane rated fuel. Naturally, since the RSX Type- S has a higher compression ratio than a base RSX, then the fuel that is put in it should have a higher octane rating than that of fuel put in the base RSX.

If you were to put 87 octane rated fuel into a Type- S, the engine would be prone to "pinging" (spontaneously combusting :eek: , which can damage the engine) because the fuel is rated to be less compressed than a say, 93 octane rated fuel.

The ECU in most modern cars will compensate for minor flucuations in the octane rating of the fuel.
If the ECU detects a spontaneously combusting flame (NOT GOOD FOR A GASOLINE ENGINE) then it will alter the way it runs to stop the chance of pinging.

~[I think, that the engine will inject the fuel later into the cycle and so not burning all of the fuel and making a mess and less power.]

~[If "too high" of a fuel is put in, the only way that I can imagine getting worse fuel economy is that the ECU might think that it is running too lean because the fuel is compressed "too well" or something to that extent do the engine may actually run rich... idk]

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Just realized that I called pinging a form of spontaneous combustion. Actually, pinging is the noise heard when the piston head actually hits the top of the chamber, and that is pinging. Pinging, though, is caused many times by spontaneous combustion (due to unequal and unpredictable forces). and

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
The 93-94 stuff isn't a pure ploy. It can come in handy for older cars. As stuff gets dirty and worn out over time they might be more prone to knocking and benefit from a higher octane gas. Knocking is bad, mmmkay.

Race fuels (104 octane) has been dyno proven to be in the range of a 5-10whp decrease. People who run big shots of nitrous can benefit from the race fuel when they are squeezing, but under normal driving without the juice, it's been dynoed lower than baseline. The explanation... I don't know. It's not my field of expertise. I've just seen the graphs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts