Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Elite
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is bone stock but i get a distinct hissing sound in 1-4th gear at around 2800rpm, it stop as soon as i hit 2900 when revving. no sound when i let the revs drop to 2800rpm. no hissing sound anywhere above or below that RPM.

any idea what might be causing this?

· 'Ello Dutchie
1,907 Posts
Holy crap my type s does the EXACT same thing, from about 2,800-2,900 rpm it makes that noise.
Just got it in January and it did it rigth after i got it. I'm pretty sure it is nothing, but still very annoying, answers and suggestions please.

· Elite
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
my car is bone stock. its' got the stock air box. CAI would make a hissing sound anywhere above 2000rpm and it would be slightly more distinct. and no there's no turbo.

no it happens everytime i hit that RPM regardless of which gear i am in.

· Registered
2,468 Posts
the techs at the dealership had told me the sound was from the intake too...bs though it sounded like it was coming from the opposite side of the engine ... so while the rotors were off while i was getting my clutch replaced... i asked the tech to look at the wheel bearing and he just lubed it up and the sound is gone now.

· Back Up Nasty Nate
865 Posts
i had this problem when i owned a type S.. there was a thread about it with plenty of responses we determined it is the under side heatshield where your header is.. and it is caused by vibration at that RPM..

· Registered
439 Posts
could be a vacuum leak hopefully this might help, sorry bout the small lettering but my problem was that right there, could be yours too.

Reactions: Loki182

· Elite
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had this problem when i owned a type S.. there was a thread about it with plenty of responses we determined it is the under side heatshield where your header is.. and it is caused by vibration at that RPM..
header? i have an exhaust manifold, no header. :confused: however this explanation makes the most sense. so if this is the problem i suppose the easiest solution is to remove the heat shield, isn't it???

could be a vacuum leak hopefully this might help, sorry bout the small lettering but my problem was that right there, could be yours too.

thanks for your help. if its a vacuum leak how would it affect only a certain RPM? anyway i'll check it out tomorrow.

i edited my previous post on to indicate that it happens in ALL gears including neutral. i guess that eliminates wheel bearing problem.

· Elite
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup still sounds like I have the same problem once we figure it out. Happens even when sitting still so not wheel bearing. Haha my brother did say hey sounds like you got a turbo i just :rolleyes:
Dripto, i have the same problem, but on my Base, i went to Igarage today and they said its was not an exhaust leak, no gasket, nothing, probably wheel bearing, or valves.

did you guys try revving your cars in neutral? at what RPM do you have that problem (provided it isnt 2800RPM)?

i can't understand why it would be caused by wheel bearing because if that was the case then it would only happen when the car moved and it wouldnt be RPM dependent.

now valves i can understand. but which valves?

· Back Up Nasty Nate
865 Posts
what do you mean you dont have a header? Im lost. But to answer your question yes, remove heat shield=problem solved. Sounds like metal correct, does it when you rev in neutral as well.. i know exactly what your talking about.. and its the heat shield located where the exhaust manifold is..

· Registered
82 Posts
what do you mean you dont have a header? Im lost. But to answer your question yes, remove heat shield=problem solved. Sounds like metal correct, does it when you rev in neutral as well.. i know exactly what your talking about.. and its the heat shield located where the exhaust manifold is..
Acura calls it an exhaust manifold. Called them today about a bolt and they were confused when I said header. Turns out they call it an exhaust manifold. I'm assuming this is because it's not all one piece, it's a manifold and a test pipe.

As for the hissing sound, no clue but good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.