Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Full Contact FTW
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my car will emit a hissing type noise when it hits 3K RPM. I've done experiments and it will do so in every gear up to 4th, 3K - 4500K RPM. Once the car gets above that RPM, it's too loud to hear anymore. Also, I can't hear it in 5th and 6th b/c there's too much noise at that point.

I am completely stock except for a gutted box w/ a green filter and '05 air inlet tube. I've had this setup for about a year now, but this noise only started within the last month or so. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Could be an intake or vacumm leak. If its under warrenty take it in, if not get under the hood and pull the throttle and see if you can pin point it. If it is a vacuum leak you may need a smoke machine to find the leak

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
snakes in a car?:dontknow:
:rotfl:

"What are all these snakes doin' on this mothafuckin' car?!!!!!!!"
"SAY, "ssss", again muthfucka!!"
"I said, Do they speak English in "sssssss"??!!"

:rotfl:

ohhh.....anyway, yeah it's gotta be that gutted airbox....because if it's doing at a certain engine speed, then it would definitely make sense. You got just enough hole clearance/airflow at 3000rpm that it makes the whistling noise.

·
Full Contact FTW
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it could be intake-related, but I've had that setup for at least a year now.
I used to drive it quite a bit to work and I usually did not have the stereo on and I never heard it prior to just a little while ago. I guess it's not a big deal as I've checked and nothing is leaking and I did some pretty spirited driving yesterday and did not notice any performance problems. It sounds similar to a turbo spooling up, except none of the performance benefits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts