Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 base which hit 199k miles today and I have a couple of concerns about for my car:

1) When cold start it shakes quiet a lot when idle. The weird thing also depending on which direction I have my wheels pointed the level of vibration changes. When I have it pointed straight forward it does reduce the shake a little. After the car warms up for about 15 mins the shakes comes to a minimum but you can still feel it.

2) Also in cold start when the car shifts it shifts hard and it makes this weird sound kind of a clunky sound. The first shift is the worst and after that it kind of reduces, but still pretty hard. As the car warms up, it progressively reduces and takes about 15 mins also for the shift to be pretty smooth.

Some of the recent maintenance I did was spark plugs, transmission fluid change, o2 sensors, cleaned IACV, and valve adjustment. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah. what they guy above said.
not sure on the rough shifting. but the rough cold idle definitely sounds like motor mounts. and especially at 199k, they probably need replacing/upgrading

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up. Yup, It is my motor mounts. I know there are 4 total? 2 are located at passenger and driver on top but I don't know where are the other 2. is there a diagram I can look at?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Yup, It is my motor mounts. I know there are 4 total? 2 are located at passenger and driver on top but I don't know where are the other 2. is there a diagram I can look at?
There's a copy of the manual available to download on here. There's pictures in there.
You can see the front one slight right of center beneath the intake manifold. The rear one is mounted directly to the top of the subframe near where the header and cat meet. You can only see it from the bottom.

·
WILDCARD!
1,166 Posts
I would replace the mounts and then see where that leaves you. Any car, especially an old one with 200k miles is going to shift a little harsher after a cold start until everything warms up. My 2006 S only has 70k miles and I can notice a difference when first taking off from cold start to 5-10 mins later. Shifts much smoother.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
497 Posts
I agree with inspecting the condition of your motor mounts. Front mount is usually the first to fail. You listed that you changed the trans fluid. Many will argue with me, but I still recommend OEM trans fluids. OEMs spend a lot of time developing how their trans shift based on a specific fluid. If the trans is worn, fluids alone won’t fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts