Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article online about a study done at University of Texas which states that the pressure of water that comes out of a typical garden hose is not powerful enough to rinse the deterrgent off the car; therefore, it actually hurts the paint alot.

This Saturday I'm moving with my girlfriend into a new apartment and I finally get my own garage. Do you think it's necessary for me to get one of those Electric Pressure Washers at Homedepot? They cost around 100 I believe.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Id love to get one but I dont think you need it. Why dont you try a different spray gun or nozzle for the reguler hose first?

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
You don't want something with very high pressure b/c that will end up doing more harm than good. With water pressure too high you run the risk of grinding the fine dirt particles into the paint. Besides, you shouldn't be using "detergent" which strips your car of it's wax, you should be using "car wash"...most of them are very mild and do not leave residue. The only purpose using detergent would serve is to prep the car for a wax job...and in that case it's also not absolutely necessary.

I think that a normal hose will do just fine, my .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
I'll admit, I cheat a little bit here.
My garden hose is hooked up to the main incoming pipe before the house's pressure regulator, so the garden hose sprays a lot harder than any other fixtures in the house. Not nearly has hard as even a small electric pressure washer, but sometimes having that lil extra ooomph is handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts