Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always wished the RSX came with homelink like my Accord did.

I thought about using a universal garage door opener and wiring a button to the dash but didn't want to worry about a battery dyeing or wiring it with resistors to achieve the correct voltage.
Also I have fogs, so I don't have any switch blanks to put the button in.

Yesterday I was bored and saw that I had a spare homelink dome light from my accord lying around.
I decided to start cutting it up to see how small I could make it.

Started like this:

Hacked down to this:

Then enclosed the circuit board and soldered power leads:

Removable faceplate and buttons:

After a quick headliner trim:

I had originally wanted to put it by the map lights but there isn't enough room to hide the circuit board.

I now have a fully programmable garage door opener that runs off 12V power tapped from the dome lights.

It was a spur of the moment mod but I think it turned out pretty well.

What do you guys think?

Comments and criticism welcome.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks really nice, what was the part number of the accord home link? I would like to do this mod also.
Unfortunately I don't know the part number.

The one I used was off a 98-02 accord V6. (4 cyls didn't get homelink)
Also 99-03 TL, 01-03 CL and 99-04 Odyssey all have the same Homelink map lights.

Your best bet is to browse the junkyard and find one from the vehicles I listed.

· Always on TDY...
6,148 Posts
Subbed...

This DIY needs to be stickied. This is truly the best garage door mod I've seen for the RSX.

You can get the home link on eBay. I have a 2000 TL and ordered one from eBay for under $50 bucks or so.

· Pancakes
6,135 Posts
That is a solid DIY. I bet you could score a nice home link type module from a junkyard pretty cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.