Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
[[[[!]]]]
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep this short and simple. I have an '02 RSX-S. I went to the Honda dealer today for an oil change, and they put Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30. I didn't realize it until I got home and looked at the invoice. Is this a big deal? Thanks.

·
Zilla 4 Rilla ©rew #0
16,800 Posts
no

/thread

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
42,973 Posts
they prolly used the right type of oil but just rang it up as 5w-20.. could explode after 10 miles so you will know

·
[[[[!]]]]
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they prolly used the right type of oil but just rang it up as 5w-20.. could explode after 10 miles so you will know
haha nah I know nothin like that's gonna happen, besides i've already driven it more than 10 :). If they rang it up as 5w-20 then they overcharged me a few bucks. The majority of cars can run on different oil than recommended, I was just curious if the type-S was an exception.

·
Sweet Dude
353 Posts
on my 02 rsx the oil cap it recommends 5w-20 although i think they might have changed that later in the year due to it being to thin or something...i read it somewhere but i use 5w-30 because there musta been a reason for the switch=)

·
I love my rally car
15,937 Posts
base rsx, cr-v, element all use 5-20 because their max rev is at 7k and it also saves them some gas (being thin and all). I wouldn't wanna go to 8400-8600 on 5-20 oil.

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
The 5w-20 is fine, especially for the winter. You may burn it slightly faster, so keep an eye on the level. If it really bugs you, top off with a heavier weight oil, like 5w-40 or 10w-40.

·
Registered
613 Posts
go back to the dealer and ask them to change to 5w-30. Make them fell bad so u might get complimentary service or smt like that hahahaha

·
ABP REPPIN!
2,051 Posts
if you run the shit outta your car...............i recommend 10w 30.............and in the summer if you run the shit outta your car minimum 10w40......:) i know trust me:)

·
Banned
418 Posts
I'll keep this short and simple. I have an '02 RSX-S. I went to the Honda dealer today for an oil change, and they put Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30. I didn't realize it until I got home and looked at the invoice. Is this a big deal? Thanks.
I'd make them fix it, even the cap is marked. I don't know about the new civics but the 01-05's take 5w20. It may of been done by force of habbit..

·
Point and Shoot?
2,493 Posts
When it blows, they give u a new engine. /Thread

·
9k FTW
3,196 Posts
this is why you diy your oil changes. it's really not that hard

·
[[[[!]]]]
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is why you diy your oil changes. it's really not that hard
Indeed, it's not. I've actually owned a 240 and gsr in which i always changed the oil myself. I just moved into a town home and its a pain to get the jacks or ramps out in the parking lot. Plus, they can fine you for any maintanence you do on your vehicle on their property as it was in the lease agreement. If I still had a garage, i'd do it myself. Honda also only charges $13 labor and they top off all fluids, tire pressure and do a minor inspection of brakes and things like that. Well worth $13.

To get back to the original post, I had my rsx to honda at 7 this morning. They said by default they put 5w20 in all cars unless YOU otherwise specify. This is for bulk oil only, in this case I specified sythetic so they should have gone with the recommended 5w30. They re-changed the oil and even rotated the tires, all for free and refunded the difference of the oil. Now im not afraid to do this anymore: :vtec: Thanks to everyone who was helpful. ;)

·
Team Bavaria
117 Posts
Indeed, it's not. I've actually owned a 240 and gsr in which i always changed the oil myself. I just moved into a town home and its a pain to get the jacks or ramps out in the parking lot. Plus, they can fine you for any maintanence you do on your vehicle on their property as it was in the lease agreement. If I still had a garage, i'd do it myself. Honda also only charges $13 labor and they top off all fluids, tire pressure and do a minor inspection of brakes and things like that. Well worth $13.

To get back to the original post, I had my rsx to honda at 7 this morning. They said by default they put 5w20 in all cars unless YOU otherwise specify. This is for bulk oil only, in this case I specified sythetic so they should have gone with the recommended 5w30. They re-changed the oil and even rotated the tires, all for free and refunded the difference of the oil. Now im not afraid to do this anymore: :vtec: Thanks to everyone who was helpful. ;)
Wow, this has pretty much solidified my thoughts that I now NEED an RSX-S. Honda sounds damn generous compared to the Mazda Dealership. :vtec:
---
I will, by any means get my rightfully deserved RSX Type-S; preferably a black 05/06. :pray:

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
i use 5w-20 all the time. some people say its better for the car in the winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts