Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Do you think Honda Factory Windshield is not as strong as other manufacturer's?

• Yes, definitely get a lot of cracks and stone chips

Votes: 146 48.8%
  • No, just about the same as other cars

Votes: 153 51.2%

Honda uses cheap windshields

19K views 99 replies 72 participants last post by  BoltonRSX-S 
#1 ·
I have owned a lot of Honda/Acura cars and knows a lot of people who own Honda/Acura.... it seems that the windshield that that they put on their cars aren't as good as other cars. Actually, I was talking about that same issue with my friend just last Friday and long and behold today I have my first stone chip on my windshield... I wasn't going that quickly... maybe around 70km/h when it happened. Didn't noticed it until when I was going home from work.

Any one here thinks Honda factory windshield is not as good as other brands?

#2 ·
I've heard they use softer glass for some reason (this is just a rumour.. I really don't know/care if it's even true).

I've got a crack going right along my windshield about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom... it started from a chip in the dot matrix stuff and worked it's way across once it got cold outside.

Kinda pissed me off.. but nothing you can do.

hopefully when I sell my Civic in the next two months I won't have to put a new windshield in. The buyer can worry about that... isn't even in the line of sight.

#3 ·
This is what I've heard, if it's true, that's up to you.

I've heard that in order to save weight, Honda uses thinner glass. If this were to be true, the glass would have to be stronger. So, the glass is "super-stressed". Therefore (you can tell I'm really talking out of my ass now), with the glass needing a higher strength, it would be more susceptible to damage.

Something like that. I'm half awake, and I haven't touched my engineering notes in a few years. Haven't had a need to. I've been dummified by work.:rolleyes:

#6 ·
I have to agree with you. I got my RSX as soon as it was released and lo and behold, within a week and a half, I got my first chip when I was driving in Edmonton. I got it fixed right away as the cost of the front windshield ( if it is not insured) will run more than $600 when I inquired about it at the glass shop. :D :D

#8 ·
Perhaps PPG should just stick to paint then?
:dontknow:

J/k, I haven't had any problem with any Honda windshield. Although the window in our '87 Accord did shatter as my mom closed the door. Passenger side shattered while she was sitting on the Driver side. Go figure.

#9 ·
taeoug said:
I have to agree with you. I got my RSX as soon as it was released and lo and behold, within a week and a half, I got my first chip when I was driving in Edmonton. I got it fixed right away as the cost of the front windshield ( if it is not insured) will run more than $600 when I inquired about it at the glass shop. :D :D
how much is it to fix that little stone chip? around $20??

G
#10 ·
When i am driving my car i hear a lot more rocks hit the windshield than in some of the other cars i've driven but luckily no chips yet.......my sister's car on the other hand had a stone chip and sure enough a week later the crack spread across the whole windshield. She was pissed, called acura and they are going to replace the windshield.

#11 ·
I have to disagree. I was driving from Jasper AB back home to Edmonton when at about 130km/h. I was about to pass a large truck when a rock came towards me at face level. It's weird that even at that speed it seems like slow mo. Anyways, i checked it when i got home and there was barely a hole. Slight chip but not even close to enough to form a crack. Maybe it was the angle of contact, but i think the windsheild stood up quite well.

#12 ·
fÄce» said:
When i am driving my car i hear a lot more rocks hit the windshield than in some of the other cars i've driven but luckily no chips yet.......my sister's car on the other hand had a stone chip and sure enough a week later the crack spread across the whole windshield. She was pissed, called acura and they are going to replace the windshield.
Wow, Acura is going to replace the whole windshield for her? That's good but I don't think they are required to... if I remembered correctly, windshield isn't included in the warranty. I'm going to read the warranty booklet to confirm.

Anyways, I called Speedy Auto Glass today and they said it'll take around $35 to fix that small chip.

G
#13 ·
calgary1 said:

Wow, Acura is going to replace the whole windshield for her? That's good but I don't think they are required to... if I remembered correctly, windshield isn't included in the warranty. I'm going to read the warranty booklet to confirm.

Anyways, I called Speedy Auto Glass today and they said it'll take around $35 to fix that small chip.
no, you're right they are not required to fix it, but they are going to, some time next week. my dad convinced them to do it, since we bought 2 rsx's off them and they didn't give us any deals, and the windshield cracked off such a small stone chip so soon after it happened. it's more of a p/r thing, but if it happens again they will not fix it.

#19 ·
We owned a '98 Civic and we had the front windshied glass replaced once.

Now own my RSX, in the back hatch glass, I see little pin/needle sized holes colored metallic silverish greyish multi-colored kinda. I don't know what the heck those are. Does anyone else have those?

#22 ·
if the gravel hits the windshield in the right way, it will chip. I wasn't following the vehicle in front of me that closely (gotta be 3 car lengths behind him) and I was only travelling at around 70km/h... that's why I was so surprised when I got the chip... maybe the guy in front of me floored the gas...

#24 ·
calgary1 said:
if the gravel hits the windshield in the right way, it will chip. I wasn't following the vehicle in front of me that closely (gotta be 3 car lengths behind him) and I was only travelling at around 70km/h... that's why I was so surprised when I got the chip... maybe the guy in front of me floored the gas...
I was in the exact same scenario a few weeks ago. Travelling at merely 65km/h, and at least 3 car lengths behind a Cavalier).... and ended up with a chip just above the windshield wiper. I don't think that guy suddenly decided to floor the gas though... it was more like he got too close to the curb for a second or two. At least I'm glad that the stone hit my windshield and not the bumper or hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.