Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Do you think Honda Factory Windshield is not as strong as other manufacturer's?

• Yes, definitely get a lot of cracks and stone chips

Votes: 146 48.8%
  • No, just about the same as other cars

Votes: 153 51.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
if the gravel hits the windshield in the right way, it will chip. I wasn't following the vehicle in front of me that closely (gotta be 3 car lengths behind him) and I was only travelling at around 70km/h... that's why I was so surprised when I got the chip... maybe the guy in front of me floored the gas...

·
Registered
423 Posts
calgary1 said:
if the gravel hits the windshield in the right way, it will chip. I wasn't following the vehicle in front of me that closely (gotta be 3 car lengths behind him) and I was only travelling at around 70km/h... that's why I was so surprised when I got the chip... maybe the guy in front of me floored the gas...
I was in the exact same scenario a few weeks ago. Travelling at merely 65km/h, and at least 3 car lengths behind a Cavalier).... and ended up with a chip just above the windshield wiper. I don't think that guy suddenly decided to floor the gas though... it was more like he got too close to the curb for a second or two. At least I'm glad that the stone hit my windshield and not the bumper or hood.

·
Ex Type-S Club
3,311 Posts
My family has had 6 Honda's, none has ever had a windshield problem. They get their glass from PPG, just like many other manufactures.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Definitely cheap windshield. I got mine replaced within 6 months. Any chip cause a spider web crack. When I go it replaced ($1200, where I paid $500 deductable), the guy said that this glass is definitely thinner than many other cars on the road. The aerodynamic may also play a role as the RSX hood slope down so much in the front, so all air got directed onto the windshield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All the Hondas I've owned, I have neverr had a chip. I have noticed on the past few that the windshield gets pitted. In direct sunlight it looks like waterspots but it is just the windshield being pitted. Talking about windshields, I thing the paint ( for chips) is worse.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My Accord Coupe windshield is definitely stronger than the RSX as I have way fewer chips and never had any cracks. The windshield guy said that the RSX one is definitely thinner than many other passenger cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yup, they are getting crappy. Have a 2003 accord and only 12000km. Already replaced windshield, started as a 2 inch crack they went out of control. Didn't even hear the crack on the windshield when it happened. Cost me 750 for a new oem one.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Honestly, Honda use lower quality(Not cheap) glass material on our glasses. How can you tell? Compare with my Toyota, the windshield always deliever the excat and acurrate vision for me.(No blending or disort etc...) but Honda does in some angle.

·
Negative Zero
2,667 Posts
derek76111 said:
This is what I've heard, if it's true, that's up to you.

I've heard that in order to save weight, Honda uses thinner glass. If this were to be true, the glass would have to be stronger. So, the glass is "super-stressed". Therefore (you can tell I'm really talking out of my ass now), with the glass needing a higher strength, it would be more susceptible to damage.

Something like that. I'm half awake, and I haven't touched my engineering notes in a few years. Haven't had a need to. I've been dummified by work.:rolleyes:
let me re-cap your statement
higher strength glass is more susceptible to damage??
hmmm... makes sense :laughing:

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
bleh... our avalon's front windshield has a stone chip on it... i guess we should trade it in for a new TL!!!! i wish

·
Ex Type-S Club
3,311 Posts
Honda doesn't manufacture their own windshields, they get them the same place allot of other automotive manufactures get them. PPG I think. And we are comparing a car made in Japan with North American cars, so perhaps Japan makes cheep windshields?

·
Registered
167 Posts
How much should a replacement cost? I went to a shop near my workplace and he quoted me $325 + tax (PPG)

just had my windshield replaced. $325 (no tax, but no invoice. go back anytime if there is problem ;) )

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got my first stone chip/crack, but every other inch of my windshield is covered in pitt marks =(
before my rsx i had two chevy's Malibu & Monte Carlo, had em both for about 3 years and both of them had much less scraches, marks & non of them ever cracked due to direct stone impact even at high velocity.

·
fudge em
3,848 Posts
I just craked my winshield today for the first time in the 2 years i've owned it. Came up to a pack of semis and one threw up a rock the size of a quarter and bam my windshield is cracked.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts