Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda's "secret" cam tool: 100% guaranteed accurate timing on the first try...

This is the tool Honds specifies for aligning the cams. PN#07AAB-RWCA120. It costs about $5 or so...

It has been mentioned here on and off, but still is pretty obscure. Anyhow, it is just a pair of steel pins that index through hole in the rear journal of each cam and lock that cam into the proper position in the cam tray.

I bought them some time ago but only got around to doing the motor now, and can report that they work great! Basically, as long as the crank is in time, you cannot miss on timing the cams since it the pins lock the cams into place. Just thought I would pass on my experiences. Highly recommended.

·
Big Pimpin
15,710 Posts
You'd actually want to use something that's fairly strong and won't snap. More so for guys that are running a stiffer valvetrain.
Well ya, I understand that, was just illustrating a point. for 5 bucks though, no real reason not to pick this little thing up.

·
regrets selling the rsx
1,195 Posts
you can just buy some similar sized dowel pins at a local hardware store for less than a buck. i just ended up using some spare drill bits. i can't remember the exact size off the top of my head. its not like these are black magic or something either. they just hold the cams in place. you still have to make sure there is zero slack on the front side of the chain (between intake and crank) amongst other things.

·
WWJDMD?
1,477 Posts
Never knew Honda made this tool. I just used a punch for this for the longest time with my B-series.

·
Gettin F**cked at da Pump
739 Posts
never done a cam install before. The crank is suppose to be at TDC when you line the cams up with that tool????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts