Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on getting the Hondata #4 reflash pretty soon, so I decided to do some reading up on it. I plan on getting the Type R Intake Manifold and cams.

Now would it be better to get the K20a reflash or the Hondata #4? I read a couple varying opinions. I know the gains of the Hondata flash, but what about the Type R flash? Which would be better for me to get?

·
Registered
575 Posts
just wait until february and get the Hondata Programable ECU. That way, you could run with hondata 4 until you get the cams and IM. Then reflash your self the ITR flash.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So running the Hondata #4 with the Type R cams and IM would be a bad idea?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not sure... probably cam gains would be minimal since the #4 is tuned for type-s cams.

To be sincere about the k20a cams... I didn't noticed any huge improvement as I did when I added the JR Race Header to my setup. Maybe I didnt noticed too much gain because I already had Hondata ITR flash and the Race header before installing the cams... how knows?

Im pretty sure that with Hondata #4 + Race header (either Comptech or JR) will give you more hp per $ than any hondata flash (#4 or ITR) + Cams + IM

If your planing to spend about $1500 in mods, I would go with the Hondata 4 + JR Race Header. That will cost you about $1200, and if your're worried about being legal... add a hi-flow cat for another $100. So far you probably spent about $1400 for 30hp aprox.

·
Registered
575 Posts
the 30hp is including the intake you already have. Hondata + Race Header is about 20hp

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Stellar1 said:
So running the Hondata #4 with the Type R cams and IM would be a bad idea?
Yes, bad idea......You will run WAY to lean. If you plan on doing getting the manifold, cams, or both, just get the K20A flash.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
But then you're running the K20A flash with type S cams. Either get the #4 flash, and pay for the upgrade when you get the IM and cams, or just keep saving and get the flash, cams, and IM at the same time. That's the smartest route.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
K20A flash with stock cams is alright. Plenty of people have run their car like this. Obviously you wont make full power until you get the cams and manifold, but in the long run it will save you 200 bucks and 2-3 more days without a car.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
It runs good, huh? I thought I might have read different, but I don't remember where. Great, something else for me to throw into the decision process, just what I needed.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Just trying to help you out man. I would have got the K20A flash myself but at the time cams and the manifold were out of the question. So now if I ever decide to go type r cams I have to send my ecu out AGAIN.:(

·
Registered
896 Posts
I ordered my itr cams and itr IM, but won't be installing till after winter. So that means that I'm getting my k20a flash after I get them installed. I really wanted to see how fast I can make the car without adding any exhaust header or cat back. In other word I'll be working on the transmission next, clutch, flywheel, final drive gear, and itr lsd.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I think you are really going to hold yourself back with the K20A flash and stock exhaust. You don't even want a cat back? Car should still run strong, and you can't go wrong building the tranny up.

Id be interested to see how much hp an exhaust gives you after you install all that.

·
Registered
896 Posts
One of the main reason why I don't want an exhaust is because cops are assholes at the town where I work, so I don't feel like getting pulled over all the time. Another reason is I don't want the car to be really loud. I guess if I were to get a cat back it would have to be the fujitsubo powergetter.

·
OG member
4,194 Posts
i'm doin the same...i've gone to the smog referree twice in one year and i din't want to get an exhaust...i have a base and doing a k20a swap with a k20a flash from hondata. (reason i'm doing that is because i already bought a k20a2 ecu..and i heard the stock k20a doesn't go past 120mph)..please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm planning to send in my stock k20a2 ecu next month to hondata for a k20a flash....

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
180km/h is not 120, it's more like 112. 120mph is (i think) 204km/h.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Hondata #4....Unless of course you plan on getting cams and a manifold anytime soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Running the K20 flash with stock cams is OK, you'll just be running rich until you get the ITR cams installed. I got the flash before the cams, and the car seemed to run fine. Didn't notice a change in gas mileage or anything.

One thing to look out for...If you don't mod your exhaust (header/exhaust), you won't see much gain with the ITR cams. There'll be too much going into the engine with no way of getting it all out. Trust me on this, I'm going through it right now. I ran the 1/4 at almost the exact same numbers after getting my cams in as I did with just the K20A reflash. Just waiting for spring to get header/exhaust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts