Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im getting hondata asap and I want to know if my car will be damaged at all from shifting at 8600. I know this topic has been beaten to death but im still wondering if the vavle could be bent or floated from this. I have an 03 with the single valve spring so would that be better than the duals in the ealier models for high revving. All responses are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
uuhh i dont think you helped him much...well lets see here he does have a point there " Anything over redline can damage your car " but alot of ppl on this board have it and they dont seem to complane about it....but Hondata#4 helps rsx ALOT!! so why not get it

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
There is always an increased risk of breaking something when raising your redline, but you SHOULD be alright. Just make sure to keep up with your basic maintance.

To give you some peace of mind, I beat the shit out of my car for a long time. My car has seeing 8600rpm many, many, times and still runs perfect.

·
Tyler
1,620 Posts
I have it, and I shift at 8000-8200. I have only taken it above 8200 about 6 times. My rev limiter seems to hit around 8700...kinda scary. I don't like doing it. But the low end power is worth it:thumbsup:

·
///M
5,299 Posts
i take my shit up to 8900 at times and its ok... i would say valve springs is a good idea, but not ncessary as long as you dont take it that high on a daily basis.. you stop making power at 8000... so even on a street race u shouldnt even need to take it up that high.. the only time i do take it to 8900 is when im at the track to shift right back into the powerband :goodluck:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
aznbeayst said:
i take my shit up to 8900 at times and its ok... i would say valve springs is a good idea, but not ncessary as long as you dont take it that high on a daily basis.. you stop making power at 8000... so even on a street race u shouldnt even need to take it up that high.. the only time i do take it to 8900 is when im at the track to shift right back into the powerband :goodluck:
:shakehead Your tach is off.

·
///M
5,299 Posts
lol hell yeh the tach is off.. the stock tachs are off big time at higher rpms, but i can seriously take it up to 9000 which is probably really 8700 ish on a real after market tach..

·
///M
5,299 Posts
have u taken it up pass 8600 yet? allenp was the one to told me it could go that and i tried and he was right... in my sig there is a link to race vids.. i have a video of my tach with the newly installed flywheel.. check it out for urself :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldnt stiffer valve springs hurt the cams tho?

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
just get the hondata and stop worrying about your valvetrain...it will be fine...just dont misshift at 8600 rpm.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
MmmotorNutz said:
just get the hondata and stop worrying about your valvetrain...it will be fine...just dont misshift at 8600 rpm.
:nervous: I know someone who did......If you do the math.......misshifting from 3rd to 2nd at 8600rpm comes out to 12,000rpm:nervous: :eek: Needless to say, his motor was in pieces.........many, many, many, pieces.

The good news was, he still had 1 of 4 pistons still in the motor.:rolleyes: :laughing:

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
just get the fucking hondata...you gotta live a little.....

obviously shifting at 8600 would be more damaging on the car rather than shifting at 8100.....shifting at 6000 would be more damaging than shifting at 4000 - its just common sense.....

worse comes to worse pick up a new type motor for 1.5-2k

·
K20
3,090 Posts
k20tuner said:
I still just say it is your tach. Somehow my tach is not off, the fuel cut off is right after 8600. I know I am in the minority here though.
Yeah mine is the same as yours it stops at 8600. Got a couple of friends with 02 rsx-s with ecu's theres don't stop till 8800 mine is a 03. Maybe the 03 tachs are on the dot but who knows.

Back to the topic hondata is the shit. My car is much faster and much smoother with the ecu.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I dropped my car off at the local hondata dealer today they are sending my ecu out and I should have my car back on Wednesday I got the #4 reflash and can't wait to drive it. Im thinking it should be a pretty quick car with the bolt ons I have on it so far.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts