Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what cat-back system Hondata is using on their car that hit 280whp at 7psi. :)

·
6,734 Posts
Doug had mentioned that the DC Sports Twin Canister System that he was using is restrictive at high RPM's as is with most systems. A 3inch system will provide the best results but from header back, it needs to be 3inch true.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
RiceRocket112 said:
Does anyone know what cat-back system Hondata is using on their car that hit 280whp at 7psi. :)
The DC worked well up to 7 psi. Testing at 9 psi indicates exhaust restriction at 7000 rpm plus . More testing will be needed. ie I will drop the catback and test with an open header.

Doug

·
Registered
227 Posts
:iamwiths: Doug, hellava cranium!
wdsonny said:
Doug had mentioned that the DC Sports Twin Canister System that he was using is restrictive at high RPM's as is with most systems. A 3inch system will provide the best results but from header back, it needs to be 3inch true.
Yeah, and it's a bit of a hassle. I got Thermal 3" system yesterday(props to CLUBRSX & Thermal for fast delivery) :beerchug: and it reduces to a 2.5"dia. 3 bolt flange at inlet...so now I'm looking at even more expense to modify to a true 3" system! :flame:
To all you weenies running a JRSC street version, this exhaust will bolt right up to stock cat. :evilangel

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Right now I am running a 5Zigen Fireball full catback.. Think that will be ok with the 7psi? I plan to get that flash and run that exhaust until I can afford something different.. I also need to buy a clutch.. Lets hope my stockie holds out for about 1500 miles :p

·
6,734 Posts
Was your comments directed toward myself? Because if they were, then you my friend can go fuck yourself! I have already stated that Thermal designed the system like this for a reason! They need a system that will be universal and fit any RSX Type S! If you have an aftermarket header/cat combo then you just have to modify it. If your comments were not directed at me then I apologize. But I take things like this seriously. I am happy with my setup and will be going Comptech later this month.

Texas-R said:
:iamwiths: Doug, hellava cranium!

Yeah, and it's a bit of a hassle. I got Thermal 3" system yesterday(props to CLUBRSX & Thermal for fast delivery) :beerchug: and it reduces to a 2.5"dia. 3 bolt flange at inlet...so now I'm looking at even more expense to modify to a true 3" system! :flame:
To all you weenies running a JRSC street version, this exhaust will bolt right up to stock cat. :evilangel

·
Registered
227 Posts
wdsonny said:
Was your comments directed toward myself? Because if they were, then you my friend can go fuck yourself! I have already stated that Thermal designed the system like this for a reason! They need a system that will be universal and fit any RSX Type S! If you have an aftermarket header/cat combo then you just have to modify it. If your comments were not directed at me then I apologize. But I take things like this seriously. I am happy with my setup and will be going Comptech later this month.
:chillout: Of course not, I thought I was agreeing with you! I think 3" is the way to go...
I just wanted to tell everyone that although it is advertised as a true 3" system in both CLUBRSX's and Thermal's website, it does in fact have a reduction to 2.5" at the inlet. My point being, it will require mods to the Thermal System inlet as well as the custom work involved in upsizing the cat to 3" dia. More expense for people doing a 3" system :thumbsdow , less expense for people bolting up to stock cat :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
323 Posts
also will the thermal r&d exhaust fit the comptech race header that i have? i will go into supercharger, so i dont' want to buy 2 exhaust systems.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What I'm saying is, you take a measured response to the problem. If your funds allow, eliminate the worst restriction in the exhaust system by upsizing the cat. (and everything behind it). This will show small gains if if you have say, a JRSC street or race 440cc [email protected] 5psi. and bigger gains if you're running 550cc.Inj and 5-7+ psi.boost.
If you're on a budget and are running lower boost, retaining the stock cat. or replacing the stock cat with one having the same size inlet & outlet but of a high-flow design, the comptech system would be great.
The big problem is the restrictive cat. and replacing it with a high-flow unit with larger inlet and outlet is the best way, but most expensinve way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts