Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not make up my mind for what I want to do as far as tuning goes on my soon to be GReddy turbo RSX-S. The kit is going on this friday and I currently have Hondata#4 so I definately have to do something very quickly. I am deciding between the Hondata/GReddy flash for $200, selling Hondata#4 and running stock ECU with GReddy e-Manage, or just getting the Kpro. Something I never really took into consideration though was doesn't the Kpro come with a completely stock program built into it? Couldn't I go ahead and get the Kpro, run the stock program with the e-Manage hooked up as well? Then when I'm ready for a tune, unhook the e-Manage and tune it with the Kpro? The reason I don't want to get a tune now is because I don't really want to spend any more cash and I want to make sure the kit works before I start playing around and creating more power. Could someone please help me make a decision.... :confused:

·
ChemE
520 Posts
emfollin said:
I can not make up my mind for what I want to do as far as tuning goes on my soon to be GReddy turbo RSX-S. The kit is going on this friday and I currently have Hondata#4 so I definately have to do something very quickly. I am deciding between the Hondata/GReddy flash for $200, selling Hondata#4 and running stock ECU with GReddy e-Manage, or just getting the Kpro. Something I never really took into consideration though was doesn't the Kpro come with a completely stock program built into it? Couldn't I go ahead and get the Kpro, run the stock program with the e-Manage hooked up as well? Then when I'm ready for a tune, unhook the e-Manage and tune it with the Kpro? The reason I don't want to get a tune now is because I don't really want to spend any more cash and I want to make sure the kit works before I start playing around and creating more power. Could someone please help me make a decision.... :confused:

The K-Pro has a 7psi map for the Revhard Kit, but it definetly isn't going to be safe to boost under. If your looking to save money do what I am doing and get the greddy turbo reflash, and then when you have enough money upgrade to the K-Pro. The Revhard 7psi map is used to get you close to a dyno so you can tune it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory e-Manage run horribly rich at higher RPM, correct? Does the GReddy/Hondata flash lean it out a little more and make the car run much smoother instead of dumping fuel. Would it be smarter to just get the flash instead of running just the factory e-Manage for a while and saving up for the tune?

·
ChemE
520 Posts
emfollin said:
The factory e-Manage run horribly rich at higher RPM, correct? Does the GReddy/Hondata flash lean it out a little more and make the car run much smoother instead of dumping fuel. Would it be smarter to just get the flash instead of running just the factory e-Manage for a while and saving up for the tune?
Yeah it helps smooth out the boost curve to help your car run like it did when it was stock and to help keep it pullin all the way through the RPM range.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it still considered "safe" like the factory e-Manage? I know it still has the lean condition issue but thats not going to change unless you go Kpro.

·
ChemE
520 Posts
emfollin said:
Is it still considered "safe" like the factory e-Manage? I know it still has the lean condition issue but thats not going to change unless you go Kpro.

I talked to Greddy today about the reflash and they said it was "safe". Mike basically told me that the lean condition that some have experienced went away after a few days of driving. I hope it does, but he said if the problem does persist to go to the K-Pro.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After running some price numbers, I found out that besides the tuning costs, the Kpro is actually cheaper then the reflash. This is because you can sell the emanage and my install charges won't be as high because you don't have to install emanage.

·
K series tuning liberator
2,364 Posts
There are stock calibrations in the k-pro that can be run w/emanage for a short period of time while awaiting dyno time, the other option is pulling the emanage off and running the revhard turbo 7psi calibration for that short period of time, i would not recommend boosting with either of these and turn you MIL when knock is present option on, this will illuminate your CEL when the knock sensor hears knock, so you can either lift the throttle or shut the motor down if this happens, to be on the safe side. I have talked with Doug about both of these options, he says it can happen safely, just don't boost and learn as much as you can about how the k-manager software works so if there is a problem you can temporaily fix it. For instance, If, after installing the k-pro and running either maps, you see that the ignition is a bit too advanced, you can pull the ignition values down in these areas and this will make things a bit safer, or add some more fuel, or both....you really need to know a little bit to make this happen safely. By no means am i saying to tune on the street, i am just giving examples of situations that you might have to alter the tables to make it so you can get to the dyno safely.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have another question. Would it be possible to get the data from the Hondata/GReddy flash and start with that in the Kpro and then fine tune it instead of starting from scratch? Or could you use the Revhard program as a base and just fine tune that? Would it require a lot of tuning?

·
ChemE
520 Posts
emfollin said:
I have another question. Would it be possible to get the data from the Hondata/GReddy flash and start with that in the Kpro and then fine tune it instead of starting from scratch? Or could you use the Revhard program as a base and just fine tune that? Would it require a lot of tuning?
From what I have been hearing it takes up to 10 hours to totally tune it on a dyno. It would probabaly cost around 500-600 bucks, which is a big dent in your pocket. I'm going to buy the reflash, but if it has the lean condition I will upgrade to the K-Pro immediately. Hopefully the reflash will work.....I will start praying.

·
2,364 Posts
You will not be able to use the reflash settings as the emanage controls some of the work and the ECU does the other duties. With the k-pro, it's all ECU and the settings would be completly different in the re-flashed ECU. It will take about two full days of dyno work to be completly tuned by someone that knows and understand the k-pro, as the k-pro is alot different than anything that has been before it.

·
2,364 Posts
the revhard base calibrations would be a better starting point than any of the other calibrations that the k-pro ships with. It would take some minor altering to make it run really good, it should be at least safe to drive to the dyno on, just stay out of boost.

·
ChemE
520 Posts
emfollin said:
HAHA, yeah right. Not down the road I'd have to push it down. I'd be dead...
Lol just start pushing and once it gets going either have someone driving it for you while its coasting...........or you better be a fast runner and catch up.......I would at least try it. :thumbsup:

·
2,364 Posts
From what Doug says, you should be fine running the revhard calibration for a short period, just stay out of boost. At the end of this week, Hondata is supposed to be releasing a completly stock calibration for the k-pro, so u can keep the emanage plugged in for the trip, then rip it off when you get there.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
teamxrsx said:
From what Doug says, you should be fine running the revhard calibration for a short period, just stay out of boost. At the end of this week, Hondata is supposed to be releasing a completly stock calibration for the k-pro, so u can keep the emanage plugged in for the trip, then rip it off when you get there.
And that is exactly what I plan on doing. Can I go ahead and get the Kpro and then download the update on their site that will include the completely stock calibration? Is it a definate that they are releasing the calibration?

·
Vendor
935 Posts
emfollin said:
And that is exactly what I plan on doing. Can I go ahead and get the Kpro and then download the update on their site that will include the completely stock calibration? Is it a definate that they are releasing the calibration?
Yes, Done. Update your K-Manager software to get the stock calibration.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=2546645#post2546645

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.