Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey can someone help me out. i have hondata #4 and every now and then it goes into what seems like limp mode. it's like i don't have hondata. i can't get it pass redline and i performs almost like stock. so i reset the ecu, then everything runs fine. have anyone ever have this problem? any info will help. thanks in advance.

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
jbt75rsx said:
hey can someone help me out. i have hondata #4 and every now and then it goes into what seems like limp mode. it's like i don't have hondata. i can't get it pass redline and i performs almost like stock. so i reset the ecu, then everything runs fine. have anyone ever have this problem? any info will help. thanks in advance.
Well, that's not limp mode. Limp mode is much more drastic. The car barely moves.

In general, a reflash either works or it doesn't. There are no wires or soldering involved, so it's hard to see how it would work sometimes and not other times.

You don't say what mods you have, so it's hard to speculate. Since you say that there's a performance fall-off that goes away when you reset the ECU, it almost sounds like your long-term fuel trims gradually goes all out of whack until you reset it. This could happen if you have certain mods that make the car run either really rich or really lean with Hondata #4.

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
jbt75rsx said:
i'm not getting a check engine. the mods i have are mugen air intake box, mugen twin-loop exhaust and jackson racing header with carsound cat.
Okay, I am going out on a limb here.... but I think between your free-breathing intake and exhaust and the scavenging effect of the JR header you're always running lean in closed loop. So the ECU constantly applies significant short term fuel trim, which then affects long term fuel trim. Long term fuel trim then gets so high that you're running way too rich in open loop, hence the problems you described that then go away when you reset the ECU and thus wipe the long term fuel trim back to zero. You need the K-Pro.

· popcorn playa
12,547 Posts
so when will they release a hondata#5... which would take into account a header(race header probably, it seems hardly anyone purchases the shortys anymore).. i dont want to have to dyno tune my car just for the toda or comptech race header... unless i find a good deal on those mustang portable dyno's then a lift.. and we have ourselves a shop

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
vash_the_stampede said:
so when will they release a hondata#5... which would take into account a header(race header probably, it seems hardly anyone purchases the shortys anymore).. i dont want to have to dyno tune my car just for the toda or comptech race header... unless i find a good deal on those mustang portable dyno's then a lift.. and we have ourselves a shop
Not gonna happen. They can't do a special flash for all sorts of mod combinations. That's why Hondata developed the K-Pro.

Also, I disagree about the race headers. Not everyone wants one of those. There are lots of people who will draw the line at removing the cat. Cats work and I for one will give up a few horsepower in order to have an environmentally responsible vehicle.

Finally, you don't HAVE to dyno-tune your car. The K-Pro calibration library keeps growing and you'll find one that works just fine with you car.

· Registered
725 Posts
conradb212 said:
Not gonna happen. They can't do a special flash for all sorts of mod combinations. That's why Hondata developed the K-Pro.

Also, I disagree about the race headers. Not everyone wants one of those. There are lots of people who will draw the line at removing the cat. Cats work and I for one will give up a few horsepower in order to have an environmentally responsible vehicle.

Finally, you don't HAVE to dyno-tune your car. The K-Pro calibration library keeps growing and you'll find one that works just fine with you car.

that's why high flow cat's where invented my friend :thumbsup:

lat-R

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Corolla Boy said:
that's why high flow cat's where invented my friend :thumbsup:
True enough, but, sadly, those are illegal as well, even the OBD-II ones UNLESS you fulfill some pretty stringent requirements. Check the pertaining laws. You can't do a thing with the cat. Even if it is totally kaputt, you still need a official certification that it is shot, and even then you can only replace it with original equipment.

See, the problem here is that some products comply with the intent of the law while others do not. Hondata is not legal although it definitely complies with the intent of the law. High-flow cats are not legal although they also comply with the intent of the law. Removing the cat entirely is definitely illegal because it is in direct violation with the wording and the intent.

· Registered
725 Posts
conradb212 said:
True enough, but, sadly, those are illegal as well, even the OBD-II ones UNLESS you fulfill some pretty stringent requirements. Check the pertaining laws. You can't do a thing with the cat. Even if it is totally kaputt, you still need a official certification that it is shot, and even then you can only replace it with original equipment.

See, the problem here is that some products comply with the intent of the law while others do not. Hondata is not legal although it definitely complies with the intent of the law. High-flow cats are not legal although they also comply with the intent of the law. Removing the cat entirely is definitely illegal because it is in direct violation with the wording and the intent.

Good point, I also just noticed that you're in Cali :crying: yea, you definiitely have no way to squeeze around that law. At least here on the east coast it's a little easier to slide by *some* things...good luck :wavey:

lat-R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.