Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched all over for this and havent found nething about it so here it is. Basicly all ive heard so far is ppl doin the A2 head on the A3 block and getting the type-s ECU. Ok well say i cant get my hands on a Type-s head and want to work with the A3 head, if i got a type-s ECU and just installed that will that give me intake and exhaust vtec or would i need the type-s head? Only diff with the type-s head is the runners, manifold , tb, etc and what makes it a vtec is just the the ECU that comes with them right?

What i was thinking is say i just bought a type-s ECU had it sent to Hondata, got 7800rpm , 5200 vtec, had the ECU set programed to my Immobilizer, and told them my mods. I get it back have true vtec with a A3 head. Theres gotta be something i dont know about.

Just came into the sport compact world be easy on me...:dontknow:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Your plan will definantly not work :) The A2 head is a totally different piece of metal compared to the A3 head. The A2 cams have three lobs per two valves. Two "normal" lobes operates the two valves per cylinder (On intake and exhaust...equalling a total of 4-valves per cylinder) during normal operation and the third rocker arm is locked in at 5200 RPMs which also locks the two other lobes together to run the valves on the VTEC lobe off the camshaft...kinda confusing but if you know what I'm talking about you'll understand. It's a simple yet super effective way of gaining power.

On the A3 head...we lack the third cam lobe, third rocker arm per cylinder...we lack the more durable valve springs to sustain higher RPMs w/o valve float...it's a totally different head. Our VTEC on the intake side kicks in at 2200 RPMs, and it's not "high" duration VTEC...it only switches the motor from 12-valve operation to 16-valve operation. If you look at this post here http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126864 which I'm sure you have go to the link in the post and there are picture differences of the A2 A3 valve train and head differences. There is no way of getting "true" VTEC on a A3 head, the rocker arms and camshafts aren't even a direct swap over.

However, I still like the A3 motor very much. I praise it for it's great lowend torque, good/decent higher RPM power (With an intake, stock intake in the higher RPM limits) and best of all, I still get 30-31 MPG on long ass trips. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aight thanx for explain that for me, thought i had sumthin goin here but i guess not. I didnt think ne1 was up and that i was gonna have 2 be in suspence till 2marrow. Aight well now i gotta think about what im gonna do with this A3 head, would love to do a A2 swap but i doubt its gonna be at a resonable price range and i wouldnt even know where to start looking. Been searchin ebay but no luck there.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's kinda hard to find a A2 head cause no one really wants to seperate the A2 head from the A2 block unless the block was no good. Wait alittle longer, Skunk2 is suppose to come out with some wicked cams for the A3 in Feb of this year. That's what Skunk has been telling everyone who has emailed them so we'll see what happens. If Skunk2 comes out with some nice cams, then I might stick with the A3 with a Hondata program. Otherwise I'm go'n with a K20A or K20A2 in the near future. We'll see ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am in search of the A2 head aswell, but the problem I keep running up against is shops trying to sell me the whole A2motor and for that price I much rather go turbo, I just want the A2 for higher rev, true vtec, and the best part for turboing the lower compression.

I havent searched for the type-s ecu till i get hold of the A2 head, I'm pretty sure theres gots to be someone with a type-s ecu.

·
Registered
529 Posts
RSXshift, you can just have Hondata reflash your A3 ECU with one of their A2 programs...same thing. Probably the same price someone is asking for a A2 ECU anyway.

A2 headswap is a bitch to do, I'd rather do a whole A2 motor swap instead of doing the head r&r but that's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts