Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant figure it out....my best time before doing mm's, clutch, fly, lsd, and azenis was a 14.3 @ 100.....now i went to the track today and the temp was cool and in the 50's..i have removed my dc header because it has issues but everything else is still there....i was expecting low 14's at least but only managed a 14.7 @ 95. i had the psi @ 24 and launched at around 3000 and could not get the damn tires to hook up and i also got wheel hop....i dont understand can sum1 please help

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Cold is bad for tracks, and tires on tracks.. I was going all summer last year, and got used to the sacramento heat (90-105 everytime I raced over the summer 2003) than went in the winder months.

It was November, temps were in the 40s-50s track felt about the same speed. Well 1st launch at 3500RPM just sat and spun, no wheel hop, but I did get a 2.5 60ft. Infact until the track got heated up later in the night I was pulling 2.5s. My best was liek a low 2.3. :( Well, you get the picture..

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pyropete said:
Cold is bad for tracks, and tires on tracks.. I was going all summer last year, and got used to the sacramento heat (90-105 everytime I raced over the summer 2003) than went in the winder months.

It was November, temps were in the 40s-50s track felt about the same speed. Well 1st launch at 3500RPM just sat and spun, no wheel hop, but I did get a 2.5 60ft. Infact until the track got heated up later in the night I was pulling 2.5s. My best was liek a low 2.3. :( Well, you get the picture..
i mean is that really it....could it just be too cold cuz this really sux!!! my best 60 ft. was a 2.4 i have gotten a 2.2 with shittier tires

·
Registered
515 Posts
your tire pressure shoulda been lower. also you prolly need to heat up your tires longer. you should be bale to stay around 2.2's and that woulda helped out alot!

·
Registered
738 Posts
My suggestion...don't worry about your tire pressure...focus on your launch. For the past year I have not been able to hit anything better than 2.3 60ft's or worse....but now I launch at a consistant 3000-3200rpm...and slip/feather it out while keeping my foot steady on the gas until I can feel it grab..then I let out and slam the gas...I'm running consistant 2.2 60ft's and tonight...a 2.1 on Yokohama ES100's...which are not as grippy as Azenis....

Good luck...not sure if that helps..

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
my brothers car did the same thing at our local 1/8th of a mile track. (mm and 225/45/17 Azenis) With the addition of the ingalls torque dampener, hopefully it will eliminate that crap. Your tire pressure is fine @ 24psi.... and thanks for the tip pterribilis, I'll try to launch at lower RPMs...been launching at 4000-5000 and have been getting 2.3s.

·
Terminator
4,861 Posts
Anthony is right I was there lat night too...I think the track was just really slick last night....We both could not pull off a 60ft better then 2.3 and I have gotten a 2.2 on the stock rubber. Don't panic yet Ant...we got time. .....Though I did pull a 14.163 w/ a 2.3 60 ft....13's anyone holla.

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
What track did yall go to? E-Town?

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
Sounds weird, I have no hop at the track on azenis...even when it is 30 degrees out.

I still get consistant 2.1's in the cold, I always use 20 psi on the fronts.

I bumped up my times alot when I started launching at 5K, you just have to feather.

·
Terminator
4,861 Posts
I tried 4 4500 5000 nothing worked...I didn't hop though only Ant did. I just spun. Feather how ? Explain it to a T cause I don't get it. Are you giving it gas at the same time to more or less keep the rpms from dropping then gunning it once it catches??? What's the exact technique.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
Hold it at 5K...when you start to launch, control the wheel spin the the clutch. It will break traction a tid bit, once I grab I am usually at around 5500. Think of it this way, if you downshift and your rpm is at 3500 rather than 5500 the later is going to be much faster right?

When I used to launch at 3500 I would do the same technique but when the tires would grab it would only be at 3500-4000. I takes alot longer to get from 3500-8600 rather than 5500-8600. The key is to modulate the gas enough so that you are right at your vtec point when the tires grab. If I go above the crossover while you am trying to feather it will spin to much, so you have to pay close attention to the tach.

The reason for the feather is so you can hold good power at 5K and engage it as needed. You can engage the clutch at that power much much faster than the car can build the revs. It kinda works like a 4000 stall in a muscle car so they can launch at 4K on an automatic and already be in the meaty part of the powerband.

I hope this helps some. :thumbsup:

·
Terminator
4,861 Posts
....ok I guess I have to practice that shit more...Ant has the LSD installed and it did nothing to help him...go figure. So keep as close to V-Tec as possible until you hook...then slam it. I think I am to aggressive..need to ease up a little....thanks.

·
Honda4Ever
7,580 Posts
I love you eddie, you give me hope for my current setup! I have azenis but lower profile because I want to concentrate more on AutoX. I will try the launch you suggested at Honda Day and we shall see what happens.

BTW, ordered the header, just gotta get some wrap.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
I just wrapped mine yesterday... I got that CAI insulated sleeve too. That CAI pipe was getting hella hot under there. Wrap your header before you put it on, that was a bitch.

The lower profile might help you, the azenis have a really hard sidewall so a 55 or 45 shouldn't matter. The 45 has a smaller diameter though, so that should help the gearing. I know my 55 series azenis are larger around than my daily drivers.

I can't wait till my tranny stuff is in... I get to learn all over again. I'm puting her in the shop on Mon.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
I learned to launch on the street first, it is a much slicker surface and you will spin more. It will help you get practice with the throttle/clutch modulation. Once I knew how to launch on the street the sticky track was a peice of cake.

·
Terminator
4,861 Posts
it was the first time this year ....i guess i just expected the azenis to be super sticky....there not...in my opinion. I did no burn out...then I did an e-brake burn out....then i did a small burn out....i got like 5 runs...the first being the best at 25 psi...then i went to 20 psi and they seemed worse. what psi do you run the backs?

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
We used the same psi in the back as the front...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts