Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Related to the 250.. thread that is now locked.

I dont understand why people are going on about "this dyno reads type reads higher than that dyno type; us dynos read more than uk dynos etc." Shurely horsepower, whether crank or at the wheels, is a FACT. If one dyno type is reading more/less than the other, then one/both of them is WRONG. If i'm incorrect in believing that can someone explain it to me? Is an american horse different in size to a european one?

Has anyone here, whether owner or tuning house, done any testing on an ENGINE dyno? (ie looking directly at engine hp, not some fudged measurement at wheels/hubs/rollers/ etc) Or calibrated their rollers/dynopack or whatever by using an engine dyno?
I'm just interested where/how discrepancies have arisen.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Stu,

The difference lies not just in the dyno type, but how the engine is loaded/run. Longer acceleration times will reveal higher hp numbers. Shorter times, lower. This is because losses and engine behavior change as test profiles are altered. A ramp dyno test (which is what most people do), will read very differently than a static loaded engine dyno. The question is, which test type best represents what we want to measure (which is the ability of the engine to accelerate a vehicle)? That is a subject of much debate.

Then, when you get into different dyno types (some use rollers, some remove the wheels freeing up extra hp, etc.) you've got a whole different discussion.

SC

·
Registered
417 Posts
IMO, the only thing that dyno is useful for is seeing how much of a percentage gain a certain part or modification gets you, and to tune the car to the optimal A:F ratio. Horsepower numbers are irrelevant. The most important thing is if your car is running to its full potential with the mods you have on it. If it is, you'll be able to pull down great times and numbers in the real world.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts