Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is the difference between the base and type s if horsepower is just a "made up" number, and the torque is about the same?
2. How much whp/torque on average will there be after the (sri)/H/E for the type s?
3. What about 1/4 mile times and 0-60 with these mods for the base and type-s?
5. Does the heatshield actually work for heatsoak on the SRI?
6. How about removing the rubber lining closest to the windshield. Will that help with airflow and cooling the engine a little better?

Thanks Guys
Sorry if some areas aren't relevent to N/A

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
1. The Type S has a much higher redline and higher compression, giving it more output across a longer range. The Type S is about 1.0 seconds faster in the quarter mile.

2. The Type S starts off at about 167whp. A SRI will add a peak of about 4whp, a header from 3whp to 7whp, and a good exhaust could give you 2 to 4 whp. A SRI will suffer from heatsoak and will slow down you acceleration from a dead stop. I wouldn't suggest it if you're looking for power.

3. You'd probably cut off 0.4 seconds with I/H/E, but I'm not sure. Someone else will have a better idea.

5 (?). The heatshield helps, but it also restricts airflow to some degree. I'd suggest using it.

6. A vented hood would help with airflow. Removing that rubber lining is a bad idea, though, because tons of water will get down where you don't want it to be. If you want more air to your intake then get a better intake. A SRI on RSXes really isn't good.

·
ArcticS
2,341 Posts
Horsepower is not a "made up number". HP is derived directly from torque and rpm.

The type-s gets hp from high revs and low torque. The only time this isn't a good thing is off the line, before you hit about 25mph. At low speeds you can't rev as high, so you don't have as much hp as you do up high.

This is why a base and a type-s will be about even until 25-30 mph. After that the type-s pulls way faster than the base.

·
DC5 to AP2
2,421 Posts
Horsepower is somewhat made up, or at least affixed to an arbitrary value. Not every horse puts out 550.1 foot-lbs of work per second, that all depends on your horse. It's kind of like how not everyone's foot is 12 inches long. Also, I can't verify this, but I've heard that other values of energy are used to define horsepower in certain other countries, which could lead to rev-happy motors sounding either more or less impressive to consumers.

More torque does lead to more drivability. Consider just cruising along a road and wanting to pass someone: just moving over and mashing the gas is a lot easier than figuring out which gear will land you in the second cam profile and shifting. For performance driving, smaller power curves and lower torque down low is acceptable in the name of more horsepower, but around town it would be nice to have a wider power curve and beefier torque. Of course it's all relative, even the Type S has more torque down low than the Integra Type R.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
James S said:
1. The Type S has a much higher redline and higher compression, giving it more output across a longer range. The Type S is about 1.0 seconds faster in the quarter mile.

2. The Type S starts off at about 167whp. A SRI will add a peak of about 4whp, a header from 3whp to 7whp, and a good exhaust could give you 2 to 4 whp. A SRI will suffer from heatsoak and will slow down you acceleration from a dead stop. I wouldn't suggest it if you're looking for power.

3. You'd probably cut off 0.4 seconds with I/H/E, but I'm not sure. Someone else will have a better idea.

5 (?). The heatshield helps, but it also restricts airflow to some degree. I'd suggest using it.

6. A vented hood would help with airflow. Removing that rubber lining is a bad idea, though, because tons of water will get down where you don't want it to be. If you want more air to your intake then get a better intake. A SRI on RSXes really isn't good.
#2 WRONG
cold air intake is the best makes almost 9whp, a race header will give u at least 15whp, and exhuast is more like 3-5whp. All of these numbers come from proven dynos from members on this board. Now they dont add up one on top of each other but with cold air intake, race header and exhuast your looking at about 190whp, all of the above was true to me of course im speaking from experince
#3 is mostly right depending on your driving i ran a 14.7 stock and a 14.2 with my mods, so depends ony your driving
#5 Wrong
Heat Shield doesnt help for the SRI it just restricts air flow, members have come to the conclusion u are better off wihtout it. PLus the heat shield has been breaking ever since injen started there like heat shield.

#6 i wouldnt worry about air flow under the hood it will be fine, a cold air intake would suck in cold air from outside the engine bay

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
watermelonman said:
Horsepower is somewhat made up, or at least affixed to an arbitrary value. Not every horse puts out 550.1 foot-lbs of work per second, that all depends on your horse. It's kind of like how not everyone's foot is 12 inches long. Also, I can't verify this, but I've heard that other values of energy are used to define horsepower in certain other countries, which could lead to rev-happy motors sounding either more or less impressive to consumers.

More torque does lead to more drivability. Consider just cruising along a road and wanting to pass someone: just moving over and mashing the gas is a lot easier than figuring out which gear will land you in the second cam profile and shifting. For performance driving, smaller power curves and lower torque down low is acceptable in the name of more horsepower, but around town it would be nice to have a wider power curve and beefier torque. Of course it's all relative, even the Type S has more torque down low than the Integra Type R.

he knows what he is talking about he is correct

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Biga27110 said:
#2 WRONG
cold air intake is the best makes almost 9whp, a race header will give u at least 15whp, and exhuast is more like 3-5whp. All of these numbers come from proven dynos from members on this board. Now they dont add up one on top of each other but with cold air intake, race header and exhuast your looking at about 190whp, all of the above was true to me of course im speaking from experince
#3 is mostly right depending on your driving i ran a 14.7 stock and a 14.2 with my mods, so depends ony your driving
#5 Wrong
Heat Shield doesnt help for the SRI it just restricts air flow, members have come to the conclusion u are better off wihtout it. PLus the heat shield has been breaking ever since injen started there like heat shield.

#6 i wouldnt worry about air flow under the hood it will be fine, a cold air intake would suck in cold air from outside the engine bay
#2, he asked about a short ram intake. How am I "wrong?" You gave the same numbers I did, in fact; except he asked about a short ram and a regular header, not a race header. I gave him the information for which he asked.
#5, Uhm... a heatshield helps prevent hot air getting into the engine. It does help do that. That's its purpose, and as such it does help do what it is intended to do. That means less heatsoak and more reliability. With the heatshield you get more reliable low end with a slight decrease in high end. I also said that the heatshield restricts air flow in my previous post. How am I wrong? How did you say anything different than I did? And by the way, Injen hasn't used that heatshield design for a while now. None of their heatshields crack any longer. That was only their first generation heatshield design that cracked.
#6, this guy DOES want to worry about airflow under the hood, because he's asking about a short ram intake, in which case it does matter. But removing the water router is not a good idea. It will probably end up getting your filter wet, actually; not to mention other bad things. If you want more airflow then get a vented hood.

And the more torque you have the harder your car is to handle. Haven't you heard of a thing called torque steer? It's when your car has too much torque to drive straight. If you gun the RSX at 5,500 RPMs standing still you'll get torque steer and it only has 141 btq, peaking at around 5,000 RPMs. If you have 300 pounds of torque you could spin your car into another lane if you did the same thing.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
James S said:
#2, he asked about a short ram intake. How am I "wrong?" You gave the same numbers I did, in fact; except he asked about a short ram and a regular header, not a race header. I gave him the information for which he asked.
#5, Uhm... a heatshield helps prevent hot air getting into the engine. It does help do that. That's its purpose, and as such it does help do what it is intended to do. That means less heatsoak and more reliability. With the heatshield you get more reliable low end with a slight decrease in high end. I also said that the heatshield restricts air flow in my previous post. How am I wrong? How did you say anything different than I did? And by the way, Injen hasn't used that heatshield design for a while now. None of their heatshields crack any longer. That was only their first generation heatshield design that cracked.
#6, this guy DOES want to worry about airflow under the hood, because he's asking about a short ram intake, in which case it does matter. But removing the water router is not a good idea. It will probably end up getting your filter wet, actually; not to mention other bad things. If you want more airflow then get a vented hood.

And the more torque you have the harder your car is to handle. Haven't you heard of a thing called torque steer? It's when your car has too much torque to drive straight. If you gun the RSX at 5,500 RPMs standing still you'll get torque steer and it only has 141 btq, peaking at around 5,000 RPMs. If you have 300 pounds of torque you could spin your car into another lane if you did the same thing.
heatshield doesnt help, you would think it would but it really doesnt, dont get SRI no good
CAI proven at the track to be the best. i also fail to see how 4 and 9whp is the same numbers, your top numbers total 15whp, while my numbers just the race header alone covers that. numbers are not near the same, RSX take bolt ons very well, like i said i talk from experince and dynos
This guy might be a newb and doesnt know what a header is compared to a race header tell him all the facts of what headers they are.

my friends turbo si has so much torque steer its nuts its turbo 550whp at 21psi, couldnt tune it higher cuz the dynopack couldnt go higher then 600
we put in his quiafe(sp?) LSD this weekend so hopefully it will get traction and less torque steer.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Biga27110 said:
heatshield doesnt help, you would think it would but it really doesnt, dont get SRI no good, i speak from experince again. ive had it with and witout then went to CAI which is wayy better
CAI proven at the track to be the best. i also fail to see how 4 and 9whp is the same numbers, your top numbers total 15whp, while my numbers just the race header alone covers that. numbers are not near the same, RSX take bolt ons very well, like i said i talk from experince and dynos
This guy might be a newb and doesnt know what a header is compared to a race header tell him all the facts of what headers they are.

my friends turbo si has so much torque steer its nuts its turbo 550whp at 21psi, couldnt tune it higher cuz the dynopack couldnt go higher then 600
we put in his quiafe(sp?) LSD this weekend so hopefully it will get traction and less torque steer.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no newbie.. I was just wondering all of the facts because I don't have a dyno, or want to pay for one. I have an AEM SRI, Comptec shorty, and an ansa exhaust with 2.5 inch piping and nology hotwires.. I was just trying to find out relative numbers to my mods... I was looking at a JRSC, but i don't know if i can swing the price and install...
Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Engine torque, along with the transmission and its gears, translates engine torque into wheel torque, and that defines the amount of thrust, or rate of acceleration you experience from your car.

Horsepower is a rating, and is more frequently expressed in peak terms. When you look at the horsepower rating, it is always important to also find out where it is making it. Also, people often time do not pay attention to the horsepower curve in the low and midrange like they should.

There is a big reason why a mid 90's Mustang GT with just 215HP and 3200+ pounds of weight is only slightly less competitive than a RSX-S with 200HP and 2750 pounds of weight.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Scottie said:
I'm no newbie.. I was just wondering all of the facts because I don't have a dyno, or want to pay for one. I have an AEM SRI, Comptec shorty, and an ansa exhaust with 2.5 inch piping and nology hotwires.. I was just trying to find out relative numbers to my mods... I was looking at a JRSC, but i don't know if i can swing the price and install...
Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it!
if u want to create gains with mods you have to be ready to pay the price. its like paying half then only gaing 1/4. when you can pay full and get full power, in a ration u can see if u pay alil more in the end you are much better off

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Biga27110 said:
heatshield doesnt help, you would think it would but it really doesnt, dont get SRI no good

Dude, I never said the heatshield helped with performance, I said it helped to keep the thing from sucking in warm air which is bad for the engine in general. And yes, we did have the same numbers, you just used two products that the guy wasn't asking about. I gave him numbers for things he WAS asking about. He explicitly mentioned a SRI, which means he probably knows about and does not want a CAI.

I'm giving facts, you're giving opinions.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
James S said:
Dude, I never said the heatshield helped with performance, I said it helped to keep the thing from sucking in warm air which is bad for the engine in general. And yes, we did have the same numbers, you just used two products that the guy wasn't asking about. I gave him numbers for things he WAS asking about. He explicitly mentioned a SRI, which means he probably knows about and does not want a CAI.

owned:

·
Registered
200 Posts
James S said:

And you are right.

Biga27110 said:
no im giving facts buddy like i said i speak from experince and real life dynos so ya..
And you should take a look back and see that James S answered what Scottie wanted to know.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, it's not a big deal... Thank you for your help and move on. No reason to be fighting. We all have bigger problems to worry about...

Thanks again for all of your help,
Scottie

·
Registered
487 Posts
seems like there more bitchen then helping, this should stop in all of club rsx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts