Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my BOV was not working properly and I was getting a stumble and a lurch. Got it working right and now the car runs great, but I know what I was having was a turbo compressor surge. Anyone know if I damaged my turbo? It did this for about 500 miles......got me worried

·
Registered
340 Posts
Compressor surge is definitely not a good thing..

Depending on the severity and how long you've had this problem, it can significantly decrease the bearing life of the turbo. Compressor surge when your throttle is closed basically in small terms causes pressurized air to bump into the closed throttle plate, which then causes this pressure wave to flow back to the turbo; this in turn, "stalls" the turbo; causes the rpm of the turbo to slow significantly due to the pressure (hard on all internals of the turbo. This will also cause more lag when the throttle is opened back up (your next shift) since the rpm of the turbine had dropped so significantly; so not great for power either..

In severe cases (usually when an improperly sized turbo and improper boost in proportion to the setup), this can actually bend fins. This usually sounds more like a backfire from the intake, not a flutter; on a compressor flow map you can get an accurate enough measurement of where you are as opposed to the surge line in order to properly size a turbo for a setup if the turbo sizing is the cause of the compressor surge..

Hope that helps you understand a little more..You may just have shortened the bearing life of the turbo..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bluesi.....thanks for the imformative write up. I did notice the car fluttering alittle but not servere so I beleive it was bad for the turbo but I should be ok. The car did not jerk hard or anything that is why it took me so long to realize tha something was wrong.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I get some compressor surge boostin in 5th or 6th geart

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It's this bad and the Greddy kit does not come with a blow of valve? (I don't see one in the parts list for the kit)

-eric

·
_
572 Posts
Scott

How did you get your BOV to run right...recirc kit?
I always here the people on evolutionm complaining about non-recirc BOV's making the car run shitty.

You may want to look into a Forge recirc BOV for your application.

It kinda sucks with the EVO, because you get no ppsshhh sound with the recirc type.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a rec. kit..........it was to stiff, I did not realize because the car still just about drove like stock. Took out the center spring and it fixed the problem.

·
_
572 Posts
scottatyamaha said:
It is a rec. kit..........it was to stiff, I did not realize because the car still just about drove like stock. Took out the center spring and it fixed the problem.
gotcha

Also I wouldnt think that 500 miles worth of surge would cause to much of a problem. But I am no expert.

·
Registered
340 Posts
protocol said:
gotcha

Also I wouldnt think that 500 miles worth of surge would cause to much of a problem. But I am no expert.
Haha..You'd be surprised how little it takes to wear or damage turbo bearings and other internals when it comes to compressor surge..As I said before, depends on the severity..

It definitely is not good for the vehicle.

As far as a recirculating BOV, it is a good way to not waste air that has already been intercooled (since you are recirculating it instead of just venting it) when you are looking at efficiency, but is not necessary to prevent compressor surge..

As previously stated, as long as the turbo is the correct size and has the proper efficiency for your setup, then adjusting the BOV spring should be able to get rid of any compressor surge you are facing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ericcarver1 said:
It's this bad and the Greddy kit does not come with a blow of valve? (I don't see one in the parts list for the kit)

-eric
A BOV for the Greddy kit is purchased separately..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
bluesiTYPER said:
As previously stated, as long as the turbo is the correct size and has the proper efficiency for your setup, then adjusting the BOV spring should be able to get rid of any compressor surge you are facing.
how exactly do I know when the bov is adjusted right? my bov flutters a little when i let off the gas at low vaccum or very little boost (-3 to 1 psi), i'm not sure if its too loose? it will go off normally after about 2psi and above .. normal?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Right - but why would Greddy even sell a kit without it that could damage its self?

Also - which BOV is the one that sounds like a rattle snake - Its the same one the orange Supra from Fast and the Furous part 1 had.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Ericcarver1 said:
Right - but why would Greddy even sell a kit without it that could damage its self?

Also - which BOV is the one that sounds like a rattle snake - Its the same one the orange Supra from Fast and the Furous part 1 had.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
340 Posts
RSXdelerium said:
how exactly do I know when the bov is adjusted right? my bov flutters a little when i let off the gas at low vaccum or very little boost (-3 to 1 psi), i'm not sure if its too loose? it will go off normally after about 2psi and above .. normal?
What kind of BOV are you using??

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ericcarver1 said:

GReddy sells their kit, the intercooler kit, and the BOV separately for good reason.. Not everyone wants to use a GReddy BOV with their setup.. The same for the intercooler (I love GReddy intercoolers by the way :D )..

But if you talk to an installer or even a GReddy technician, they will tell you that they highly recommend a BOV and intercooler..

GReddy as well as other turbo kit manufacturers are assuming that you've done your homework before purchasing a turbo kit; with this kind of power adder, you should have a really good idea of what you are getting into before you buy it; aftermarket turbos require some knowledge if it is to be reliable.

The same goes for any power adder..What you'll find as the RSX turbo world evolves is that people will start to mix and match to create their perfect hybrid setup; for this reason, its good that they give you options by separating certain parts of the kit..

·
_
572 Posts
bluesiTYPER said:
What you'll find as the RSX turbo world evolves is that people will start to mix and match to create their perfect hybrid setup; for this reason, its good that they give you options by separating certain parts of the kit..
With this in mind, I wonder if greddy will consider selling their kit without the emanage. I say this because the upcoming hondata k-pro may be a good alternative to hacking up your wiring.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Got ya - now which BOV sounds like a rattle snake HKS Sequential?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts