Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my radar detector and i was wondering if anyone knew how to hardwire the passport 8500. My brother wired his in around the lights in the ceiling of the car on his BMW... curious as to whether we could do the same. Thanks in advance.

·
Canon Crew
12,127 Posts
XxidkxX said:
I just got my radar detector and i was wondering if anyone knew how to hardwire the passport 8500. My brother wired his in around the lights in the ceiling of the car on his BMW... curious as to whether we could do the same. Thanks in advance.

I know there has been a thread that has covered this. Searching > n00bs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i have searched... i was just wondering if anyone has tried to connect it to the map lights in front of the sunroof rather than running the wire down the A-pillar and to the fuse box. But i think im gonna do something along those lines anyway that way i will still have the mute button down around my hands rather than having to reach up on the unit while im driving. And i have it hardwired to the fuse box too hopefully. Ill just have to take a look at it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ok, well i wired my whistler, but it shouldnt be too different from yours...

still 12v negative ground leads with a cigg lighter socket.. so

make a clean cut but leave room on the cigg lighter end in case you have to re-wire it together again- (about 5")

my cord had 2 leads... a red and a black. the red is the 12v, black is the g, obviously. pull the fuse out of the cigg lighter- (the tip with the spring in it unscrews) and goto radio shack and buy a pack of those fuses- same size and amp. also get an inline fuse holder to match the fuse (i used mini bus fuses) and quick splice connectors. also get some 18 ga wire if you dont have any- one color will suffice, wire will be hidden anyway. so.. lay out your harness, and wire away. you can use solder, or crimp with end connectors, but leave enough wire to run from wherever you mount your detector, through the interior of the dash, and to the cigg lighter. be sure and either tape, or heat shrink tube your bare wires too. so wire your harness wiht the fuse holder at the end and run the wires.. pull out the quick splice conectors, and tap into the cigg lighter power and ground. viola- complete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.