Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
ok so I got 2 questions.

#1 - if a turbo says "horsepower: 150-250" that means the horsepower it will increase above your vehicles current base hp right?

#2 - as well im sure the a/r size on the cold side of the turbo is important in some aspect, the a/r size on the hot side determines your bottom-end torque or top-end hp rating right? (ie: larger a/r means higher top-end hp, where lower a/r means better bottom-end torque but less hp on the upper rpms
#1 - No. If the turbo says "Up to 550hp" or what not, it's just a rough guess of where the turbo will stop making more power. However, there are so many other factors inolved.

#2 - for the turbine (hot side) a/r, the higher the number the higher the top end but longer spool up. Lower the number means it'll spool up quicker.

·
The Blue Bomber
1,147 Posts
#1 - No. If the turbo says "Up to 550hp" or what not, it's just a rough guess of where the turbo will stop making more power. However, there are so many other factors inolved.

#2 - for the turbine (hot side) a/r, the higher the number the higher the top end but longer spool up. Lower the number means it'll spool up quicker.
ok just to reiterate,

if a turbo lists a set of numbers for a HP rating that is the total HP your car would make with that turbo? (ie: im looking to make 300-350 hp in my RSX so a Garrett GT2252 which says HP:150-260 would not allow me to reach my goal then right?)

and usually a quicker spooling turbo will not produce as much top-end hp than a larger slower spooling turbo right? (ie: my turbo spools up really quickly at the lower rpms and am getting full boost by 3k, but around 6k I start to lose about 3psi) ... or would that be a whole different problem entirely?

·
Registered
450 Posts
ok just to reiterate,

if a turbo lists a set of numbers for a HP rating that is the total HP your car would make with that turbo? (ie: im looking to make 300-350 hp in my RSX so a Garrett GT2252 which says HP:150-260 would not allow me to reach my goal then right?)

and usually a quicker spooling turbo will not produce as much top-end hp than a larger slower spooling turbo right? (ie: my turbo spools up really quickly at the lower rpms and am getting full boost by 3k, but around 6k I start to lose about 3psi) ... or would that be a whole different problem entirely?
well a gt22 is a bad example because that is an extremely small turbo, and that may let you hit 300, but I'm really not sure. I've only seen a gt22 once before and it was tiny. Most people run the gt30r and up, and they're all in the 400s. You could use the gt28, probably let you hit 400 on high boost, and you'll definitely spool up fast. I personally prefer a somewhat bigger turbo, where its insane power from 5k-redline, and still making pretty good power <5k.

To your second question, yes a faster spooling turbo smaller turbo will produce less top end than a bigger slower spooling turbo. However, to your question on losing psi towards redline, I think some of the greddy kits were doing that, I'm not sure. I don't understand why you would drop psi, because when you think about it, unless you have a boost leak somewhere, you shouldn't drop boost if you're still full-throttle.

·
The Blue Bomber
1,147 Posts
well a gt22 is a bad example because that is an extremely small turbo, and that may let you hit 300, but I'm really not sure. I've only seen a gt22 once before and it was tiny. Most people run the gt30r and up, and they're all in the 400s. You could use the gt28, probably let you hit 400 on high boost, and you'll definitely spool up fast. I personally prefer a somewhat bigger turbo, where its insane power from 5k-redline, and still making pretty good power <5k.

To your second question, yes a faster spooling turbo smaller turbo will produce less top end than a bigger slower spooling turbo. However, to your question on losing psi towards redline, I think some of the greddy kits were doing that, I'm not sure. I don't understand why you would drop psi, because when you think about it, unless you have a boost leak somewhere, you shouldn't drop boost if you're still full-throttle.
I dont want a huge turbo because im more into quick boost and im looking more into autox not 1/4 strip power.

im currently running a custom pieced setup:

Revhard mani & dp - turbonetics evo wastegate set to 10psi
greddy FMIC and piping - turboxs bov
PSR intake plenum extender and TB plate
Vacuum dist block
650cc injectors
Generic Garrett T3/T4 Turbo .50 a/r cold - not sure the hot side
Kpro
non-recirc dump pipe
I drilled and tapped the IM so I could run a steel-braided line for the brake booster
highflow 3" cat into 2.5" piping for the exhaust

it needs to be retuned, so that could also be the issue. unless I got a leak, not sure how to check without just retighening everything

·
The Blue Bomber
1,147 Posts
ok, so Ive done some searching and I cant really find any answers to my questions.

I have a Revhard setup with a Turbonetics TO4E-60 turbo. my Kpro needs retuned but ive noticed that it will get up to 8lbs boost and the higher the rpms I get the more the boost will drop. (ie: 5k = 8 lbs, 7k = 5 lbs)

could I have boost leakage somewhere? all my connections look tight. should I recheck all my charge piping as well? ive only checked the vacuum connections.
I have a 9 lb spring with shims to = 10lbs but cant seem to get that much. its an open dump wastegate and I still have a converter (its a highflow converter with a thin wafer in it)

also, I have a P2R plenum extender installed, could that be affecting my boost loss?
any help is GREATLY appreciated, im still new to alot of stuff but im pretty mechanically inclined.

I cant afford another snail or a full race kit so dont waste your time suggesting that, I need help with making my current setup work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i read everything u wrote, and i starting to understand how a turbo works.
i know there is prob alot of other fourms that explains this but i cant find it.
i basically thinking about getting a turbo i just want to feel a turbo.
i was thinking of getting my rsx to reach 300-350.
i want to do the least work as possible to the engine.
and im on a low budget.
any ideas?? lols

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im pretty sure this question has been asked but how much Hp can a stock k20 handle safely ? i dont mean to ask a stupid question or anything but i was really confused i searched on google and i kept getting different numbers off of different forums . i would really if y'all could help me out .

Thanks .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im pretty sure this question has been asked but how much Hp can a stock k20 handle safely ? i dont mean to ask a stupid question or anything but i was really confused i searched on google and i kept getting different numbers off of different forums . i would really if y'all could help me out .

Thanks .
would love to hear this too and this is such a great write up, should be published :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
awesome tnx brotha...

So I read that higher torqued engines and turboed engines do not benefit so much from a lightweight flywheel. So it was suggested to stick with an oem type s flywheel. I have an ep3 that is gonna be turbo'd, will any year oem type s fly work for my ep?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Thanks .
it's all in the tune, which is not the answer you're looking for i'm guessing.
just to give you a number, lots of guys are putting over 500 whp on stock blocks. the transmission will give out much before the motor.
awesome tnx brotha...

So I read that higher torqued engines and turboed engines do not benefit so much from a lightweight flywheel. So it was suggested to stick with an oem type s flywheel. I have an ep3 that is gonna be turbo'd, will any year oem type s fly work for my ep?
yes. you're using a type-s flywheel because you're using a type-s clutch, correct?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
yes. you're using a type-s flywheel because you're using a type-s clutch, correct?
tnx

havent bought the clutch yet but I knew to get an rsx-s specific cc stg 4 clutch...so are all 02-06 type-s fly's the same weight, if not whats a good weight fly to go with for a k24a2 turbod ep3???

·
Ba&#324;ned
12,105 Posts
02-06 type-s flywheels are 16lbs

·
Ba&#324;ned
12,105 Posts
Tnx guys
Yeah I read somewhere here where it said 15 and another that said 17 and now 19 and 16
Just trying to confirm
people have weighed theirs in and got different weights. when i weighed mine it was 15 pounds, 16 is the most commonly weighed weight and ive never heard of anyone saying it weighs 17 pounds. 19 is definitely not right so you can cancel that one out.

what does it matter what weight it is? just stick with oem. it could be 10 pounds or 100, just know that oem is better for you

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
people have weighed theirs in and got different weights. when i weighed mine it was 15 pounds, 16 is the most commonly weighed weight and ive never heard of anyone saying it weighs 17 pounds. 19 is definitely not right so you can cancel that one out.

what does it matter what weight it is? just stick with oem. it could be 10 pounds or 100, just know that oem is better for you
hm. maybe i'm thinking of the base flywheel :dontknow:

61 - 80 of 112 Posts