Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
How do I RSX?
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a simple guide to installing a front strut bar.

Let me start of by saying, if your going to buy this bar to improve your handling, THEN DON'T. This part is more for show than for performance. Only the most advance track racers or auto cross'ers need this to improve time and we are talking fractions of a second. Save up for a upgraded rear sway bar before you spend money on this. It's a much better investment for your RSX.

I got my Spoon front strut bar for about 90$ used right here on the CRSX forums.

Note: I sprayed every bolt down with WD40 and let soak for 30 min. before attempting to loosen them up.

-Step 1: Locate and remove all nuts circled in red.

-You might need a cheater pipe(hollow pipe that you put around your wrench, extending it, and thus giving you more torque.) to get the shock nuts to come loose.

- Follow the stock sway bar up to the center of the engine bay and remove those four bolts as well.(Not shown above, but look at the pics toward the end to see them.)

-Remove all the nuts from the driver side as well.

-Step 2: Pick the stock sway bar up and move it out of the way for now.

-Step 3: Determine rather or not you want to keep the stock sway bar in conjunction with your new one.

-Note: Depending on what kind of front strut bar you get, you may have no choice but to discard it. (Hint: Sell it on the "Market Place" section of the forums.)

-For me, the only part keeping me from having both of them on here was this piece circled in red.

- I choose a less conventional way to remove this part.

- If you chose to keep your stock sway bar re install it first.

-Step 4: Put your new strut bar into place.

-Step 5: Put all your nuts and bolts back in.

-That's it, your all done. Very simple. :thumbsup:

This D.I.Y and all my D.I.Y. are dedicated to ClubRSX.com and the following members that have helped a newb like me out on countless issues: erik loza, archull, 02DC52121, dorkzracing, TheTempest, krystar, inmydream316, LimaRSX, rensoyka, nathanawardell, VTEC_Inside, 06_Type-S, MameXP, BlAcuraRsx, bomdc5, a2_dc5, bkk6284. Thanks again to all of you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Very thorough I think with the base models don't have a stock strut bar like the type s? But I'm sure its pretty much the same install

·
How do I RSX?
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, for base, it's really just 6 nuts, took me like 10 mins. I agree a rear sway bar would be a much better mod than this but I did this 1st bc of the easy install.

btw, that engine cover looks familiar, did you buy it from a member here?
Recognize it huh? I sent a valve cover to this guy I meet on the forums and he painted it up for me while I was deployed. There are only two of them out there as far as I know, but he sold his RSX so I don't know who has the other one. Good Eye!

·
How do I RSX?
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any benefit by keeping the stock bar on?
:dontknow: I don't know, the whole point of having a strut bar is to prevent body roll. So, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have both on, but is uneccessary at the same time. Like I said in my post, if you're not a hard core auto crosser or semi pro racer, then you probably won't even notice the difference.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
^ Negative on the body roll. That's what the suspension (struts/springs/sway bars) is for. Strut bars are to minimize tiny changes in camber while cornering due to chassis flex, and otherwise keep the strut towers a constant distance from each other.

But I came here to ask this: on install, does it make more sense to jack the car up and take the pressure off of the strut towers before tightening everything down? If so, do I set the car on stands at the normal jacking points, or is it better to have one lift point at the middle of the front cross member/subframe?

Bump because :search2:

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I've always installed mine with the car parked on a flat and level surface. To me... it's just trying to make the suspension's balance point more rigid and harder to flex. When I did this on a Del Sol; it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I did some snooping around the internet before posting in here, and people say both that jacking it up helps, and that it makes no difference. Just trying to get another set of opinions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts