Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Ba*G Bro's INC Since 1986
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, is there a diy or anything like that for how to remove and clean the vtec solenoid on an 02 RSX Type S? I figure i can take it out and clean it. I like my car to run top notch. :)

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
i dont see why it is necessary. but you dont need a diy, tehre are 2 harnesses plugged in, unclip those. vtec solenoid is screwed on with 3 bolts. she comes out nice and easy.

ibihaveanoilleakfromthevtecsolenoid

·
Member?
353 Posts
Not sure why people think this is a joke...must be ignorance...but the filter before the VTC solenoid can collect junk and impede oil flow. It is not that hard to take off and clean, like Reborn said, it is just the three bolts.

I have good reason to check that particular part...my cam won't stay where it should. When cruising, the tables on my k-pro will say the cam should be at 30 degrees, but it can go up and down between 25 to 35 degress sometimes. But it never stays a constant 30 like it should. The VTC solenoid controls the cam angle, so this is the first thing to check...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have a slow oil leak there, so I want to take it off and clean it up anyway.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,225 Posts
Not sure why people think this is a joke...must be ignorance...but the filter before the solenoid can collect junk and impede oil flow. It is not that hard to take off and clean, like Reborn said, it is just the three bolts.

I have good reason to check that particular part...my cam won't stay where it should. When cruising, the tables on my k-pro will say the cam should be at 30 degrees, but it can go up and down between 25 to 35 degress sometimes. But it never stays a constant 30 like it should. The VTEC solenoid controls the cam angle, so this is the first thing to check...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have a slow oil leak there, so I want to take it off and clean it up anyway.
wrong, the vtec solenoid does not control cam angle, that's the VTC control system. the vtec system just changes between the hi and lo cam. the VTC oil screen and the VTC solenoid are what you want to check.

·
WE GOT DEBRIS!
6,949 Posts
Never thought to do this... I've never even seen a VTEC solenoid...

*puts this on list too do.

·
Banned
5,791 Posts
wrong, the vtec solenoid does not control cam angle, that's the VTC control system. the vtec system just changes between the hi and lo cam. the VTC oil screen and the VTC solenoid are what you want to check.
You are one smart mo fo. I always see you answering everything and I want you to know that I hate you for being mechanically inclined. :(

·
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason i'm gonna clean this is because i remembered in my 97 prelude, my vtec solenoid was dirty and after i cleaned it, vtec felt like it was on crack. I'm not hoping my rsx to do that but i just want to clean it as maintenance procedure.

·
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yea, you guys said there is three bolts but i see a total of four in the picture, what do i do about that 4th short bolt?

·
Member?
353 Posts
I knew what I was talking about, I understand what it all does, the extra "E" was a typo...and now that you say that I realize the TS had it wrong in the thread title. I'll edit my post.:thumbsup:

I have taken out the VTC solenoid and it was very clean, nothing really serviceable there. I do need to check the screen on the front of the engine, but the EK mounts and P/S make it hard to get to, so I will need to take off the P/S to get to it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts