Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed my ings side skirts today and notice the dealer who painted it for me painted my car also. They probably installed it and then paint. Well, now there's like blobs of whiter paint on my car where the ings skirt use to be. I am wondering if anything can remove 5 month old paints without damaging my OEM paint. Can anyone help? :confused: Also i tried Lanka, but didn't work very well.
Here is a picture of the area:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think you need to get a respray in that area. Have the numbnut that sprayed them while they were still on the car fix it.

A paintshop may be able to take a razor/ exacto knife to try and get it smooth and touch it up with clearcoat but I think you may be looking at sanding, primer and paint in those sections.

Don't stress though. If you can negotiate to deliver the bumpers off the car already to a paint shop in exchange for a discount, it shouldn't cost that much. 85% of the cost in getting paint work is the prep. If you can pull the pieces off, there is no disassembly, reassembly labor. Based on posts from guys with CAI's the bumpers sound easy enough to take off.

Since your car appears to be white in your picture, matching the paint probably won't be tough. Get the paint codes from the inside of your door jam, take them with you and they should be able to match them up.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
try rubbing paint thinner very easily on that area...........we do this at work sometimes when people drive over wet painted street lines and it works sometimes.........just depends on how long the paint has been on

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
Go to the hardware store and ask for a chemical called methyl ethyl ketone and put it on a rag and rub it on there. I do R&D for Dupont Performance Coatings so I know what I'm talking about. It won't come off with one swipe but just rub it on the paint you don't want there and it'll just come off after a couple rubs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a heads up. Read the warning lable on the MEK before you buy it. I'm sure you need to wear eye protection and the correct gloves when using. I've heard MEK referred to as Methyl Ethyl Death so it must be some nasty shit!

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
idriveanrsx said:
try rubbing paint thinner very easily on that area...........we do this at work sometimes when people drive over wet painted street lines and it works sometimes.........just depends on how long the paint has been on

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
MEK is no more potent than acetone. You can get it on your skin and the only thing it'll do is make your skin real dry kinda ashy but thats it I've worked with that stuff for long enough its not that bad but I'd use gloves and eye protection anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts