Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the linkage seems to be workin fine but when i grab the copper piece in front of the intake it is freeswingin where up suppose to feel the gears change but i dont feel them and you can lift the copper piece up and down slightly i checked my buddys ep3 and his you could just push into gear and you couldnt lift it up and down so what is going on please help and around how much does this fork cost if broken help ASAP i gotta get the parts...........:dontknow:

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Please be more descriptive, and speak English. Also if you have pictures to describe the issue that would be helpful. I honestly have no idea what you're saying.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think that pretty much explains it yea theres a few miss spelled words in there but you can tell what they are like where u and on my buddys ep3 hatch his you can just push into gear and with mine you cant its just like freeplaying like there is no gears there whatsoever and it is locked into 5th gear i cant get it out the copper piece connects to the shift lever where it changes the gears in the tranny im thinkin that the shift fork for 5th and 6th gear is broken and is causing it not to come out of 5th but im not sure help

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
1badDC5 said:
i think that pretty much explains it yea theres a few miss spelled words in there but you can tell what they are like where u and on my buddys ep3 hatch his you can just push into gear and with mine you cant its just like freeplaying like there is no gears there whatsoever and it is locked into 5th gear i cant get it out the copper piece connects to the shift lever where it changes the gears in the tranny im thinkin that the shift fork for 5th and 6th gear is broken and is causing it not to come out of 5th but im not sure help
As lando said, a picture would be extremely helpful. I've tried to help you in other threads, and I still can't make sense of what you're trying to convey.

Take a picture of the shift linkage on top of the transmission.

I still bet you have a broken cotter pin in the shift box (under the center console)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive checked the cotter pins for the last time ive checked everything inside the car the problem is under the hood in the tranny with the change lever or select lever one of the two the linkage is perfectly fine its pulling under the hood and everything i dont have a camera in my possesion right now sorry guys:dontknow:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am having the same problem.... HELP
Car is stuck in 5th gear, but the shift knob moves freely. Clutch is engaging, and the linkage is working perfectly.. I can see it move freely (looking at it in the engine bay), but it does not disengage out of 5th, nor will it go into any other gear while trying to perform a shift. Let me know if possible how you resolved this and the $ of your repairs. Thanks!

EG6(s)

·
7,611 Posts
His explanation makes sense to me :dontknow:

If you know for certain your cabin shifter is still connected to and capable of moving your change lever on top of the transmission - and it sounds like it is - but the change lever won't move the transmission's internals.......well, either the change lever is f-ed or the forks are f-ed.

Damn, I don't remember how the change/select lever connects to the forks, but if you can't change gears with the select/change lever, then there is some internal problem.

It is possible that the change/select lever is the problem (I doubt it, but it's possible) in which case you might be able to fix it without removing and taking the transmission apart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haha, dang. I really hope it's that easy, but either way, I already pulled it. :) Ill let you know what I find out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
yo i had the exact same problem with my 02 type S the problem was the shaft that connects to ur shift linkege to the shift fork assembly inside the transmission. There is bolt that holds it to the bottom of this shaft to the shift fork assembly and that bolt had fallen out and down into the transmission. Yo can just buy a replacement bolt but i had to rip the entire transmission apart to find that bolt

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is a bolt in there in the shift change assembly that I've seen back out before. It had its threads messed up when the bolt was getting beaten up from back and forth movement. It didn't necessarily lock anything out though.

You can pull that entire assembly out of the car though by removing the four 10mm bolts, the cotter pins for the shifter cables, unplug the reverse lockout swtich (if you have one), and take out like an 8mm allen head bolt on the front side of the trans. It will slide right out, but depending if it's stuck in a gear you may have some troubles.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,225 Posts
it's simple, the shift lever has become disconnected from the shift fork assembly. it stays in 5th gear because nothing is moving the shift forks. do what honda bull recommends, hopefully this can be fixed without opening up the tranny.

·
pimpin on budget
1,735 Posts
There is a bolt in there in the shift change assembly that I've seen back out before. It had its threads messed up when the bolt was getting beaten up from back and forth movement. It didn't necessarily lock anything out though.

You can pull that entire assembly out of the car though by removing the four 10mm bolts, the cotter pins for the shifter cables, unplug the reverse lockout swtich (if you have one), and take out like an 8mm allen head bolt on the front side of the trans. It will slide right out, but depending if it's stuck in a gear you may have some troubles.
heres a thread to help if your going to check out what honda bull is mentioning.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=24971844#post24971844

·
pp
86 Posts
i hate to revive a dead thread, but my car is doing the same thing. shifter went limp and checked all linkage, all is fine but wont go into any gears. Drove 20min home in 2nd. i pulled the shift assembly apart and fished out a few bolts and washer but have no idea on how to bolt it back up. so i might be taking it to a shop now. How are you guys putting it back together?

·
0 Posts
i hate to revive a dead thread, but my car is doing the same thing. shifter went limp and checked all linkage, all is fine but wont go into any gears. Drove 20min home in 2nd. i pulled the shift assembly apart and fished out a few bolts and washer but have no idea on how to bolt it back up. so i might be taking it to a shop now. How are you guys putting it back together?
Did you verify that it is not a hydraulic issue, first?

·
pp
86 Posts
Did you verify that it is not a hydraulic issue, first?
how do i go about to check that? theres no clutch pressure loss and no air in lines. opened center console checked all lines and everything is fine, Had my brother shift while i was in the hood and shifter moved but no going in any gears, moves freely.did all that before i opened the shifter assembly. basically whatever is on the change lever i fished out with a snake.

·
0 Posts
I would res-assemble the change lever and then check the hydraulic system. Probably 9 out of 10 RSX "clutch issues" are actually hydraulic issues and have nothing to do with the clutch or the gearbox.

·
pp
86 Posts
I would res-assemble the change lever and then check the hydraulic system. Probably 9 out of 10 RSX "clutch issues" are actually hydraulic issues and have nothing to do with the clutch or the gearbox.
I am having trouble assembling the shift assembly, no problems with clutch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts