Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on going CN Stage 2 in spring, and am unclear on what the advantage of a lighter flywheel is. I've read a tonne of posts on it, and they say the car "revs" faster. Well isn't the RPM's directly related to speed, so isn't saying the car rev's faster the same thing as saying it accelerates faster???

If so how much of a difference will it make? Is it worth the money it costs considering I'll have to take the tranny out anyways to replace the clutch?

·
My butterfly bit me
1,344 Posts
your gonna need a new clutch anyway. I dont think it would be worth it to drop the tranny for just a flywheel. Im not sure i understood what the question really was.

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
doesn't the flywheel usually just give a quicker throttle response, not necessarily a "hp" gain? correct me if i'm wrong. it will shorten the spool time, and i was wondering..since the flywheel's purpose is to transfer rotational energy back to the crankshaft when it's not in its powerstroke, when you let off the gas the car will slow down faster than a heavier flywheel, right?

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
SilverRSXJezus said:
doesn't the flywheel usually just give a quicker throttle response, not necessarily a "hp" gain? correct me if i'm wrong. it will shorten the spool time, and i was wondering..since the flywheel's purpose is to transfer rotational energy back to the crankshaft when it's not in its powerstroke, when you let off the gas the car will slow down faster than a heavier flywheel, right?
i guess you could look at it that way. The revs will decrease faster as well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just like TRICKY said...it helps rev quicker which means higher RPM's quicker which means quicker acceleration. Not too hard to understand. About it helping slow down quicker...it makes sense i've never heard of that but could be true...anybody know?

·
my roots
5,387 Posts
just like everyone said, quicker revs, but the revs will also drop quicker
dont think it goes too well w/ turbo since your rpms will be flying through 1st and 2nd gear
its all up to you

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
blacK20 said:
dont think it goes too well w/ turbo since your rpms will be flying through 1st and 2nd gear
its all up to you
it goes perfect with a turbo set up. you just need tires (drag radials) and a lsd, which if you go turbo you should invest in anyway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As far as I understand it, you'll lose the rotational momentum of the heavier flywheel so while the lighter one will spin faster, it will have less rotational energy. So when you're easin' into gear, you'll have to rev more or give it more gas. Also, while you switch gears, the revs will drop a lot faster, again cause of less rotational momentum. It's like bowling ball and a basketball. You can accelerate the basketball by pushing it a lot faster than the bowling ball. But then the basketball will stop a lot faster as well.

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
blacK20 said:
its all up to you
Yes the revs will drop quicker which may be kinda weird for daily driving, but if you are a good driver i wouldnt see it as a problem when racing. Traction may be part of an issue since you will be accelerating faster but with a faster car that usually tends to happen.

On a side note someone in my city ran at the track one night a year ago when he had his Greddy turbo RSX. He was running 8psi on the falken azenis with an LSD and flywheel. He ended up running a 13.2 @ 108.77 which is really impressive on the T517z(is that the greddy turbo size?) at 8psi. Im assuming that the flywheel may have had a part in that, but the LSD probably did too :dontknow: .

·
Registered
144 Posts
4g63dsm said:
there are hp gains as well right? not just quicker reving?right?
There should be b/c there is less rotational mass, kinda like when you get bigger, heavier brake rotors. it takes more energy to move them.

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
Yea i would say the flywheel would probly be most effective on the 1320. I have mine sitting in my room and when i put it on ill find out if its worth it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
One more thing, it won't give you any more HP than your engine is capable of producing. The way you "gain" is by reducing the amount of power lost through the drive train. You know, BHP vs WHP? Your BHP will stay the same but WHP will go up a little. It's like getting a lightweight pulley. Just less weight to get moving in your drivetrain.

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
I love my ACT Prolite 8.8lb Flywheel. It really is not as bad as you guys are thinking(as far as not staying in the powerband...ect). Once you get use to it, it's like driving a stock RSX, but better. You will have some issue driving around in 1-2 gear, because it will jerk around a little easier and factor that with my stage II ACT clutch and pressure plate, it took some getting use to. But like i said, it's worth it.

PRO's: Quiker acceleration, less power lost through the drivetrain, super quik revs, easier to rev match and downshift.

Cons's: You will be in the throttle more due to the loss of rotational mass, tough shifting until you get use to the fast drop in revs in between gears. Jerking in 1-2 until you get use to the touchy throttle at low rpms in low gears.

CJ

1 - 20 of 28 Posts