Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether it be a civic or RSX/integra, how many miles were you able to drive with a bad input shaft bearing in your trans from the time that it first started to make noise?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Every case is different. I don't suggest waiting for X amount of distance to change it.
I suggest you have it fixed before anything else gets damaged.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, saving money up. But until then i want to get an idea of what kind of time frame i have. This is my daily driver, only source of transportation.

Again for ppl who have been through a bad isb, how long did it hold up for in your case?

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is no time frame with mechanical parts. It could last 5miles or 1000miles. No one really knows, it will fail once enough friction gets ahold of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not asking how long my isb will last.. I know it needs to be replaced, until i have the money and a place to do it im going to have to drive it to work everyday.

Jesus.. ok lets make this easier-- this is ONLY for the people whove had an isb fail. How long did YOURS last. Thats seriously all i want to know.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Both nabusa and I are essentially telling you the same thing.
It go at any time. Someone can tell you it lasted them several thousand miles. Another can also tell you it lasted them only a few hundred miles. And then, it is very possible that yours will only last a few miles.

If you want a number, I have driven with a bad input shaft bearing for about 1000KM (~600 miles).

·
Registered
211 Posts
is input shaft bearing the same as the throw-out bearing?

mine went out last november. It started to go in the beginning of that year, and then one day it just gave out. you can smell it and there might be smoke coming out of the shift fork housing at the front of the transmission

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is input shaft bearing the same as the throw-out bearing?

mine went out last november. It started to go in the beginning of that year, and then one day it just gave out. you can smell it and there might be smoke coming out of the shift fork housing at the front of the transmission
No, they are not. The ISB is the one that's actually inside the transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
bought my rsx-s w/140,000........I now have 190,000.....my clutch is starting to slip, so now I will open up the tranny and replace my ISB.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bought my rsx-s w/140,000........I now have 190,000.....my clutch is starting to slip, so now I will open up the tranny and replace my ISB.
So, your input shaft bearing has been bad for 50k miles? Has the bearing gotten progressively worse and louder with any driving issues?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Are you sure it is the input shaft bearing.Not to long ago I replaced my clutch and tob.Started getting a squeeking noise while in neutral.Noise would go away when I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal.Symptoms led me to believe it was the input shaft bearing.A small squirt of gease in the clutch fork window and the tob and sqeeking went away.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure it is the input shaft bearing.Not to long ago I replaced my clutch and tob.Started getting a squeeking noise while in neutral.Noise would go away when I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal.Symptoms led me to believe it was the input shaft bearing.A small squirt of gease in the clutch fork window and the tob and sqeeking went away.
Its not a squeak it is a "whirring" sound like something spinning. Clutch out in neutral it sounds, push clutch all the way in it goes away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sup Red Viper can u send a image of where u put some grease coz mines is making a noise n doing the same thing until I push the clutch in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts