Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, if I'm not in a jam, I like to warm up my car til the tach drops to about 1. My engine runs smoother everytime i do that. But even in summer, it still takes about 5 minutes for it to drop that low. How about everyone else here? how low to u warm up to

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Rsx_fan2003 said:
besides vtec doesnt engage untill the temp meter goes abouve two lines
yea i wait until its under 1k. one morning i couldnt wait (winter) ran out cranked it, waited about 5seconds and had to go (running late), got to the end of the driveway and sat there few a minute or two b/c acceleration was soooo lumpy and horrible, learned my lesson there. :nervous:

·
Registered
760 Posts
i wait for hte engine to warm up... by listening to it... you can hear it warming up whne your sitting there... when i feel that the engine noise starts to go down till the sound is constand and dont change .. thats when i drive

·
Registered
540 Posts
I warm up mine too, took 6 minutes for it to reach 1k on a cold 30-40 degree day. My friends always be telling I dont need too, it's a new car. But I like to to warm it up anyway, it felt smoother and it speed pick up faster.

·
N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
I park in an underground lot and must admit i quite often just start her up and go. The only warm up time is however long it takes me to put on my seatbelt and start some tunes goin.

Peace

WhiZ

·
What are you made of...
6,141 Posts
1-3 mins or 5 mins in Winter
When I drive and the car is not warmed up yet I dont drive hard just relax :) and my car just run with out accelerating too much :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hapa DC5 said:
all u guys warm up ur cars? i thought u don't need to on a fuel injected engine, its just a waste of gas.
yes you do actually.... have you ever put freezing ice into a glass cup and wait a lil then poor boiling water into the cup? well to tell you want happen is everything just cracks and the cup cracks too... this is some what similar to a cold engine when you rev hard it warms up to fast

·
JDM in the Werks
524 Posts
in the morning while sitting for several hours you should be warming it up until its around 1000 RPM which takes forever in the morning when your in a rush but if its only been shut off for 2-3 hours all it needs it a good 15 seconds regardless of what RPM that its at. While driving the engine will heat up faster anyways but the first intial starup should be run for several minutes

·
cole world
5,090 Posts
in the morning before school i have the same routine. i get up and get dressed and everything ready to go, then i go turn my car on, then i go back inside, brush my teeth and put my contacts on and little stuff like that which takes 5-8 minutes and then i hope in my toasty car :)! is it bad to have the heat on all the way full blast while heating ur engine? because thats what i do. when the air is hot as it should be then thats when i know its good enough. in the summer or warm weather i rarely let it heat up (besides before school)

-nima

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
zhenmaster said:
Personally, if I'm not in a jam, I like to warm up my car til the tach drops to about 1. My engine runs smoother everytime i do that. But even in summer, it still takes about 5 minutes for it to drop that low. How about everyone else here? how low to u warm up to
K-Pro datalogging shows that the water temperature in my car gets up to normal operating temperature within about five minutes, pretty much regardless to outside temperature. So I usually wait five minutes before I step on it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.