Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some advice from you pros. This is on a freshly painted car (bout a month old).

Some areas look really hazy, like an extreme whitish orange peel effect. I tried simply hand polishing it with meguirs stage 2 polish, and it worked to some effect on some smaller areas. Other areas are much more stubborn and no amount of elbow grease and rubbing worked. Is this correctable by a professional without repainting? I don't own a PC nor would I feel comfortable doing it myself. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Those are some really bad pictures but I can see some pretty horrific orange peel in there. You should take it back to the shop you had it painted and ask them to wet sand and buff it.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ yeah it's hard to capture that stuff without a garage and halogens. The first pic is really the best picture. Just imagine that all over the sides of the car, the back bumper and the sideskirts lol. I already took it back once and he said he wetsanded it but it didn't look much better than before. I'd rather take it to a pro detailer, but first I wanna see if it even is correctable.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
^ yeah it's hard to capture that stuff without a garage and halogens. The first pic is really the best picture. Just imagine that all over the sides of the car, the back bumper and the sideskirts lol. I already took it back once and he said he wetsanded it but it didn't look much better than before. I'd rather take it to a pro detailer, but first I wanna see if it even is correctable.
I'm sure a pro detailer can fix it. However, most of them work under the assumption that the paint was preped and sprayed correctly and just not maintained over the years. It seems to me this wasn't preped, sprayed, and/or sanded correctly.

You're in 626 right?

T & L Auto Body Shop
Write a review
9840 Alpaca St
South El Monte, CA 91733
(626) 444-7757‎

Go down there, ask for Jackson. See what he thinks.

My concern is if the white stuff is beneath the clear coat. If it is, you're screwed without a repaint. A detailer will not be able to fix it. If it's top level issue, then an abrasive sand/buff should fix it. A detailer and/or body shop will be able to sand/buff it.

You can also check out DTM Autobody in El Monte. Mia and/or Long will be able to help you with it.

2501 Tyler Ave.
El Monte, CA 91733
Tele: 626-448-0903

Good luck! Hope it can be fixed!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I'm in the 818. Thanks for the tips! I checked out the wetsanding links and, frankly, I'd shit bricks trying to do that myself lol.

Yeah I'm not too sure about the prep work on the car. For instance my mirrors flaked already and my original white paint is still there, not sanded or anything. Also, on my original paint there was some chipping on the side, and I can still see it lol it wasn't sanded down or anything before the new color was sprayed on. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Actually I'm in the 818. Thanks for the tips! I checked out the wetsanding links and, frankly, I'd shit bricks trying to do that myself lol.

Yeah I'm not too sure about the prep work on the car. For instance my mirrors flaked already and my original white paint is still there, not sanded or anything. Also, on my original paint there was some chipping on the side, and I can still see it lol it wasn't sanded down or anything before the new color was sprayed on. Oh well, live and learn.
[updated/consolidated prior posts]

Woww, that's a prep issue. A pro detailer will not be able to fix it. A detailer will only be able to fix the surface of the paint, not the problems underneath it. You need to goto a body shop for sure to get that looked at and/or fixed.

Where in 818 are you?

I don't have a contact (on a first name basis) at AutoExplosion but I have worked with Estaban before and his pricing is very reasonable. They do excellent work.

Auto Explosion Auto Body‎
13805 S Normandie Ave, Gardena, CA‎
(310) 329-6691‎

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
To keep your options open (let's assume a pro detailer can fix it), you should post on these forums.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

Another recommendation is to take it to the Meguiar's detailing clinic on Saturday mornings and get an opinion from Mike Philips. He really knows wtf he's doing.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[updated/consolidated prior posts]

Woww, that's a prep issue. A pro detailer will not be able to fix it. A detailer will only be able to fix the surface of the paint, not the problems underneath it. You need to goto a body shop for sure to get that looked at and/or fixed.

Where in 818 are you?

I don't have a contact (on a first name basis) at AutoExplosion but I have worked with Estaban before and his pricing is very reasonable. They do excellent work.

Auto Explosion Auto Body‎
13805 S Normandie Ave, Gardena, CA‎
(310) 329-6691‎
I'm in Northridge, actually, if you know anyone closer. I may be able to afford a good correction detail, but not a respray :( I'm holding out hope, that, even given the poor prep work, the issue is still merely surface.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone closer that I can recommend.

Ahh, if you're on a budget, I'd try to sneak into one of the Meguiar's classes and/or see if they have one of those open night clinics. Mike Philips runs the training classes and clinics and his opinion is world class professional.

Otherwise, drop by T&L and get an opinion from them. They do great work for cheap.

[add]
check your e-mail; your pm is full.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I will check out T&L. There are some places around my campus that offer student discounts too, so I might check them out. The painter told me that the car was detailed (twice), and the first time there were a lot of holograms, and after the second detail most of the holograms were removed. I think the hazing might have been from a bad detail job, so maybe there is some good paint and clear under there. keeping my fingers crossed lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts