Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to get 170hp to the wheels in a base rsx without using forced induction by doing the proper mods?

I'm starting with an aem CAI, and maybe aem tru-pullies. What else is needed to get me there?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Erm-- no offense, but why would you want to? If you have money to spend on mods, why not just trade in your base and get a Type S?

If you're driving an automatic then I guess you'd have to keep the base, but then again why would you want to mod an automatic? :dontknow:

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
Basically, I'm not completely sure how much you'd have to do, but here is a good start

Intake (which you'll have soon, hopefully :laughing: )
Header
Exhaust
Pullies (I'm gonna get these some day, too)
Tires (you need traction!)
Some sort of vtec controller thingiee. (I have no idea on this one, lol)

I can't think of much else right now..

that's all I'm gonna do to my car anyway (well, I want to upgrade my suspension mainly).

I got my intake first because I LOVE the sound of them.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flusterphonic said:
Erm-- no offense, but why would you want to? If you have money to spend on mods, why not just trade in your base and get a Type S?

If you're driving an automatic then I guess you'd have to keep the base, but then again why would you want to mod an automatic? :dontknow:
no offence taken.

I figure it will still be less that $7K (canadian) than if i bought the type-s. I was just curious of course, it's not like i am probably going to do this, but i just wondered what is needed to get about 30 extra whp out of the base

·
8th and final RSX summer!
1,016 Posts
LeaD_FooT said:

no offence taken.

I figure it will still be less that $7K (canadian) than if i bought the type-s. I was just curious of course, it's not like i am probably going to do this, but i just wondered what is needed to get about 30 extra whp out of the base
supercharger :D

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
Toda camshafts when they come out! hehe.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
koalapeck said:
Basically, I'm not completely sure how much you'd have to do, but here is a good start

Header
Exhaust

I can't think of much else right now..

that's all I'm gonna do to my car anyway (well, I want to upgrade my suspension mainly).

I got my intake first because I LOVE the sound of them.
That's also abaut all i'll do to my car in terms of engine performance. Even if i don't hit 170whp, i am going to stop there as well.

I heared that an i-vtec controller can really give good gains if you have the settings set properly. I heard it's basically like having an upgraded ecu, but you can actually make adjustments yourself, rather than it being already set. My friend told me it could give up to 20hp, but i don't believe that.

I really want to get my suspension done as well, but i'm waiting for shocks to come out (so i can do shocks with springs) and hopefully the price will lower a bit (it's too expensive these days).

Oh yea, BTW any word on the intake? :laughing:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I feel bad for the canadians...well, except that they have seatwarmer and heated mirrors i think....
isn't sales tax like 28% or some cracked out number like that?

You probably want an LSD so you will actually see those gains properly transferred to the ground w/ your new wheels.
I still doubt that will put you over 170 by a lot....but you might be quicker than the stock S.
Finding a competent shop to turn your car w/ a vtec controller might be a bitch though or a new ecu also. why don't you just go w/ a supercharger?

·
8th and final RSX summer!
1,016 Posts
CrazyFoool said:
I feel bad for the canadians...well, except that they have seatwarmer and heated mirrors i think....
isn't sales tax like 28% or some cracked out number like that?

You probably want an LSD so you will actually see those gains properly transferred to the ground w/ your new wheels.
I still doubt that will put you over 170 by a lot....but you might be quicker than the stock S.
Finding a competent shop to turn your car w/ a vtec controller might be a bitch though or a new ecu also. why don't you just go w/ a supercharger?
supercharger!! :thumbsup:

our tax is 15% which is still very high. if it was 28% i would be living in the US

·
Registered
424 Posts
In Alberta we pay 7% GST (federal tax, no way around it) and thats it - no provincial taxes. IMHO there should be no taxes at all on products, it just makes prices harder to calculate for consumers. Just increase commercial income-tax by however much, and let them set the prices on their products to whatever they need/want to in order to be competitive and yet still maintain a profit.

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
Cova said:
In Alberta we pay 7% GST (federal tax, no way around it) and thats it - no provincial taxes. IMHO there should be no taxes at all on products, it just makes prices harder to calculate for consumers. Just increase commercial income-tax by however much, and let them set the prices on their products to whatever they need/want to in order to be competitive and yet still maintain a profit.
Remember how they said GST wouldn't be around for more than 5 years? Well, it's been what.. 13-14 years?

·
Banned
3,328 Posts
If you're driving an automatic then I guess you'd have to keep the base, but then again why would you want to mod an automatic?
KISS MY ASS!

I'll race you when I get my jackson supercharger and high end torque converter!

G

·
koalapeck said:
Header
Exhaust
This will not get him anywhere near 170whp..

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.