Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first motorcycle and I am fucking stoked! Its a 1973 Honda CB500 Four and it was my grandpa's first motorcycle. He gave it to me for free. He bought it back in 1973 during the gas crises. He hasn't ridden it since 1984 and back at that time it wasn't running right. He took it to have the carbs cleaned and on the way home some more rust from the tank gummed up the carbs again. He said he tried to have it cleaned once and resealed but it didn't work. The bike has never been layed down so the tank is immaculate and I cannot find an undented one anywhere. I looked inside and the rust doesnt seem too bad. What can I do to try to salvage it so I don't have to replace it?

·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but is there a process I can do to try to get the rust out? It isn't too bad...looks about like this.

·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
get a new tank or take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it in acid solution for about 50 bucks
would i have to repaint it?

·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice kingpin, i may try that, Ill also ask some of the local shops around to see what they recommend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
if the rust isnt to bad get yourself a bag of bbs and acetone pour acetone mixed with bbs in the tank put the gas cap on an shake away drain n repeat

·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive read about that last night, they said first use sand, then BBs. Other recommendations were using Yamaha's Fuel Tank Rust Remover. Only costs $15 and is an acid solution to do it myself but takes about a day. Another one was using POR-15 which cleans out the tank and then coats the inside with an epoxy, or use Kreem or RedKoat but I heard it wasnt a good idea.

·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts