Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** I posted this in the How Do I forum but I felt it'd be useful in this forum too. ***

I keep getting PMs from people saying that they used my method of hardwiring a radar detector I posted in a thread a while back and that it worked great. So, I figured I'd post it just in case anyone is looking to do this. Mods: If you'd like to sticky this feel free.

Note: this only applies to RSXers in the U.S. (you will see why).

1. You need a +12V source that is hot when the key is in the ACC position. The best and most secure place to find this is the unused daytime running lights relay connector in the interior fusebox. In the U.S., we don't have DRLs so there is no relay, just an empty connector. The interior fusebox is in the driver's side footwell area, above the pedals. You will need to remove the small panel below the steering column to see it. There are two twist knob-like things, it comes off real easy.

2. The DRL relay connector is on the top left side of the fusebox, you will see three male prongs with nothing connected to them. All three prongs are +12V when the key is in the ACC position.

3. Buy a fully insulated female crimp-on quick disconnect from Radio Shack and attach it to the end of your positive wire (see image below). The quick disconnect will slide over two of the three prongs of the DRL relay connector perfectly. Don't forget to put an inline fuse on your positive line (my Bel 980 came with an extra fuse, so I used that... your detector may come with a spare also).

4. For ground, buy a spade terminal and use the gold bolt on the bottom of the fuse box.

5. Removing panels: First remove the small panel on the side of the dash on the driver's side. Open the driver's side door and look on the side of the dash and you will see the panel. Remove it with a small screwdriver. Next, remove the driver's side A-pillar. Put a screwdriver covered in tape or with a rag in between the roof material and the plastic of the a-pillar at the top and pull towards the CENTER of the car. Be careful not to snap the clips, DON'T pull down, pull out. There are, I believe, 3 clips. Finally remove the small plastic trim piece where the rear view mirror mounts, it just pops out.

6. Running the wire: Wire one end of your wire into the fusebox as I described, and then feed it up towards the small panel on the side of the dash that you removed earlier. You should be able to reach your hand in the opening and grab the wire. If you can't reach it, use a coat hanger. Once you get it up near the panel, feed it up and out into the a-pillar area. Keep in mind the wire never actually comes out of the dash until it goes into the A-pillar area, you just have the dash panel removed so you can feed the wire up and out near the windshield. It's pretty self explanatory, you can see where the wire needs to go. Go up the a-pillar and tuck the wire up under the roof lining against the windshield. There is already a bundle of wires running up/down the A-pillar, so you may use some zip ties to secure your wire to them. After going across the windshield and up under the roof lining, you will come out right near where the rear view mirror mounts. Feed the wire out the hole where the rear view mirror mounts, push your radar detector connector (the one that plugs into your detector for power) up under the roof lining and get it to come out just like the mirror does.

7. Replace all trim pieces, and make sure the wire comes through the hole in the plastic piece where the rear view mirror mounts.

8. Secure your detector to the windshield either slightly to the right or left of where your mirror mounts, it's up to you.

9. You're done. Good luck ladies and gentlemen.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Does it matter if its fully insulated or not? The one I got is bare metal, but its got a tab that clicks into place on the relay so it won't fall out.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's fine, don't worry about it. I just said to get a fully insulated one to be safe.

·
for me to poop on!
1,603 Posts
good job Dan!!

When I wired mine, I just tapped into the power outlet instead of using a relay.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have a valentine one which actually used a phone wire to connect it. will this method still work? if so any instructions?

·
Hug it out bitch
535 Posts
Thanks for the info on how to do this Dan. I just did mine last night, and it worked perfectly.

rs-sexs - I have the V1 too, and it was very easy to do, if you kept the hard wire kit that came with it. Mine had a splitter with a female phone line input (actually, two inputs, the other is for the display unit) and two wires that can be used exactly like Dan explains above (one for ground, the other for power).

The instatallation for the V1 would then go: phone line from the detector to the splitter; ground wire from the splitter to the screw (comes with the spade terminal attached); and hot wire from the splitter to the fuse box (comes with the connector attached).

·
Registered
31 Posts
rs-sexs, your V1, like shadowmaster's and mine, should have come with a hardwire kit. the little round box with two wires coming out of it.

Thanks Dan, my V1 just got here and I was looking for a quick easy way to hardwire it.

-dB

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummm I don't remember to tell you the truth, but the fuse should match the fuse that is inside your detector's cig lighter connector...

·
for me to poop on!
1,603 Posts
Most radar detectors come with a 1 amp fuse built into the power adapter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bringing it back from the dead!

I just used this install guide for hardwiring my V1 up above my RVM in my 06. I used similar techniques when I had the RD in my G3 GSR, however figuring out what to use for a power supply was a little more difficult with the RSX.

Also word of caution you would think you wouldnt need. Pay attention to what your doing and take anything clipped to your pockets out. I now have a couple deep gashes in my drivers side skirt thanks to the clip on my pocket knife. Hopefully a shop wont charge much to repair or repaint the sideskirt.

·
BECAUSE! racecar...
4,220 Posts
Damn 2 year bump!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a few pics I could eventually upload from when I did it on my second rsx, I'll see if I have time soon to upload them.

Sent from an iPhone using an over priced app.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts