Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 03ep3 5 speed case with 1-4ppg straight cuts 5rsx and 6tsx with 4.7 final drive..... the ep3 and 02-04 rsx uses a different type speed sensor thant the 05-06 rsx. I wasnt necessarily worried about the speedo not working i just wanted the ecu to read speed so I can use 2step and vtec both, so i called my nearest hondata dealer and they told me what i was wanting to do wouldnt work, so then i called HONDATA themselves and the guy told me there was no way to make the ecu read speed or get the speedometer to work i would have to swap transmission cases but to me that just didnt make since why my idea wouldnt work so i gave it a shot and here are the results...Also for this to work you must have KPRO...

FIRST i took the 02-04 vss sensor and used a dremel to remove the two plastic pieces inside the sensor..here is a pic of the two peices

Here is a picture after being dremel away

SECOND take a razor and shave off the two side pieces, after completing step one and two the 05-06 harness connector will fit onto the 02-04 sensor connector..
Here is a picture of plastic side pieces that need to be shaved off there is one on both sides of the sensor

After that the 05-06 connector will plug onto the sensor

THRID the harness +12, ground, and signal wires are different between the 02-04 and 05-06 harness so a rewire of the harness will be necessary, cut,strip and reconnect the wires like i have shown in the picture...

After reconnecting the wires put back in loom and tape up and plug the connector into the sensor

FORTH Open up your kal in kmanager, go to parameters, click on the misc tab, now usually for your speedo to work on an 05-06 rsx you will need to check the box marked countershaft driven speed sensor..But for this to work you will need to uncheck that box...Now you are ready to go and everything should work correctly, if you are running different gears like me instead of the stock gears dont forget to click on the gear comp tab and re enter your new gear ratios...
Here is a video showing that speedo is working and that ecu is now reading speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYqebhU8MOw&context=C3d5fb2dADOEgsToPDskL9Fyl5BpEXDpKwz8369axy

I have not tested the accuracy of the speedometer yet the primary goal of this is so vtec and 2step will work, also this is done without the use of a frequency converter

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did it read speed when you revved in neutral? Your car wasn't moving.
It was on jacks in first gear with the tire spinning off of the ground, and i gave it a little gas to show everything working properly

·
0 Posts
Does this actually work? '02-'04 uses a low-speed signal and '05-'06 uses a high-speed signal for the speedo.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this actually work? '02-'04 uses a low-speed signal and '05-'06 uses a high-speed signal for the speedo.
Yes it works there is a video at tbe bottom of the dyi proving it works.....

·
Resident Ricer
53 Posts
The 02-04 tranny uses low frequency, but a person with k-pro would be running a 02-04 ECU to begin with. The only reason why I can think of this working is because of that. How is the accuracy of the speed? It's been a while since you did this, have you test drove it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
i did the same thing...n seems pretty accurate. ill try n drive at the same speed with another car next to me to compare the speeds just to make sure

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think it works because Kpro has that option for the VSS type in that tab, per the OP's 1st post.

Without Kpro, you will probably need something like the Dakota Digital converter. I think it works at converting the different signals and vice versa.

·
#RandyRacing
1,640 Posts
Is there any other way to make a 05+ vss work with straight cut gears?
Yes u have to use washers to shim the 05-06 speed sensor further away from the gears. It's a pain in the ass though. Every time I pull the gears out I wreck a speed sensor.

I'm doing this swap right now. Big thanks OP. This should be sticked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry to bug but I'm having a similar issue. I put an 04 transmission in my 06 rsx and have tried using this digital Dakota box and I still can't seem to get my speedo or vtec to work. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the exact wires they used to solve this problem.? Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts