Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
700p LTR TWS .308
Joined
·
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know some of you people out there have moisture, water, or condensation in your headlamps, headlights, lights, etc. that's trapped in there, and is probably a pain in the ass to get rid of. While many ways have been discussed here (removal of headlamps and baken them for a few minutes, hairdryer, etc.), I came up with a solution awhile back that I thought I posted, but apparently not as I got the inquiry again. It's very simple and doesn't require you to remove your bumper nor headlight housing.

What you'll need to do is go to a store that sells asian food. Either an asian grocery store, or one of those "globally diversified" grocery stores like Whole Foods or Wegmans.

Essentially what you need is to buy something that's about $2-3, and that you can eat. A lot of asian snacks and food require to be dry or moisture free since they'll either spoil fast if moist, or simply get sticky. These include rice crackers, dried squid/fish, dried seaweed (the type you make sushi rolls with), etc. Take THIS as an example.

Inside these bags is a tiny little bag that looks like this:

That says "do not eat - desiccant"

That's correct, this little bag is a desiccant chemical that removes moisture from the bag. You probably have a few of these laying around the house as they come in electronic devices (like DVD players), and other things. But I figure that if you don't have one laying around, spending $2-3 on munchies will get you them, and plus you got something to snack on.

Ok, now take the desiccant bag an in the 2 corners of the bag (on the same edge) make 2 small holes. Be careful not to make this too big or you'll have desiccant mess in your headlamps. Take either dental floss or fishing line (fishing line preferred) and knot the ends of the line to the corners so it's like a bag strap. Give it about a 10 inch slack. The reason for fishing line or dental floss is that it won't snap if you pull hard, like string or thread would. If you're a bit paranoid, maybe even tape these holes to ensure that desiccant doesn't spill out. Now remove the rubber cover for the headlight bulb, then remove the bulb (remember not to get your fingers on the bulb, use cotton gloves if necessary). Feed the bag through the head lamp hole and let the fishing line hang out. Close the rubber cover over it, so that the line is being held by the cover. A good weekend will clear up most of that moisture.

To remove it manipulate both strings so that the edge can pull through, then use needle nose piers to grab the edge and pull it out. This is why we made 2 holes instead of 1 on the bag. It makes it a lot easier to grab an edge.

Simple, easy, and doesn't really take up much time. Plus you can throw the bag in your glovebox to use it later if it happens again...
 

·
700p LTR TWS .308
Joined
·
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dealer ain't going to replace aftermarket or DIY blackouts like mine. I did this myself to my DIY blackouts. The reason I used the bag form is becuase it has pellets. The powdered form may leave residue inside your headlamp, where you'll be SOL unless you wanna bake it open and clean them. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,985 Posts
MueveloNYC said:
dealer ain't going to replace aftermarket or DIY blackouts like mine. I did this myself to my DIY blackouts. The reason I used the bag form is becuase it has pellets. The powdered form may leave residue inside your headlamp, where you'll be SOL unless you wanna bake it open and clean them. LOL
what about the capsules of silica gel, instead of the little baggies?

i work at a pharmacy, and all the bottles of drugs have dessicant in them, and most have capsules now instead of bags, that's why i'm wondering.
 

·
700p LTR TWS .308
Joined
·
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah silica gel is good too. Just be careful how you secure the line to it.
 

·
700p LTR TWS .308
Joined
·
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it will if you use the small packets inside the asian snacks. :)
 

·
700p LTR TWS .308
Joined
·
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that'll work too. Post a packet of 4 on the for sale forum for $1, I'm sure it will sell. :)
 

·
Headlight Guy
Joined
·
8,513 Posts
Most headlights are getting condensation from the boulb holder grommets on the back and not through the sealent around the edges. They fog up because moisture gets in and can't get out. There are holes in the light housings from the factory, so don't go baking your lights when heating them up with a blow dryer until dry inside and then cleaning the grommets will most likely work. I don't think these packets will work for too long
 

·
tie - coorz
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
my headlights had condensation for a little while after i DIYed them. Simple solution to getting rid of condensation...turn on your brights for about 10 min consecutively every night....about 3 nights all the condensation should be gone. 2 nights if u take off the rubber pieces...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
RSX-CT said:
Most headlights are getting condensation from the boulb holder grommets on the back and not through the sealent around the edges. They fog up because moisture gets in and can't get out. There are holes in the light housings from the factory, so don't go baking your lights when heating them up with a blow dryer until dry inside and then cleaning the grommets will most likely work. I don't think these packets will work for too long
You seem to have an idea what is taking place.I have heard about the grommets being the cause...if so what is the remedy?Mine dry out after the lights are on for a bit but they still continue to steam up on occasion.Even without washing the car or rain.So I believe it is caused by ambient temperature change and moisture in the air.So should the grommets fit tightly or loosely.I also noticed when they were new they had a light coating of grease on them.Is this a neccesity also???
 

·
Headlight Guy
Joined
·
8,513 Posts
wcliffy said:
You seem to have an idea what is taking place.I have heard about the grommets being the cause...if so what is the remedy?Mine dry out after the lights are on for a bit but they still continue to steam up on occasion.Even without washing the car or rain.So I believe it is caused by ambient temperature change and moisture in the air.So should the grommets fit tightly or loosely.I also noticed when they were new they had a light coating of grease on them.Is this a neccesity also???

They should be tight, and you could add a little lithium grease to help them seal up better. But if you already have moisture insdie the headlight, go ahead and throw some of those silica packets in there before you put the grommets back on. They should hopefully absorb the moisture already in there.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top