Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Most headlights are getting condensation from the boulb holder grommets on the back and not through the sealent around the edges. They fog up because moisture gets in and can't get out. There are holes in the light housings from the factory, so don't go baking your lights when heating them up with a blow dryer until dry inside and then cleaning the grommets will most likely work. I don't think these packets will work for too long

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
wcliffy said:
You seem to have an idea what is taking place.I have heard about the grommets being the cause...if so what is the remedy?Mine dry out after the lights are on for a bit but they still continue to steam up on occasion.Even without washing the car or rain.So I believe it is caused by ambient temperature change and moisture in the air.So should the grommets fit tightly or loosely.I also noticed when they were new they had a light coating of grease on them.Is this a neccesity also???

They should be tight, and you could add a little lithium grease to help them seal up better. But if you already have moisture insdie the headlight, go ahead and throw some of those silica packets in there before you put the grommets back on. They should hopefully absorb the moisture already in there.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
MueveloNYC, I think I owe you an apology for doubting your idea. After reading up some on silica gel dessicants I am amazed. It seems that if you don't have a huge gap letting water into your headlights and you can't find the problem these should work indefineatly. I was under the impression they only soak up moisture to a point and hold it in. They actually will soak up moisture and release it as realtive humidity changes but will always keep the relative humidty below the point where condensation develops. Even if you have a huge leak and they can't absorb all the moisture before they fill up, you can recharge them in the oven and throw them back in!

Based on that I'm going to start throwing these into blackouts and retrofits for free as some added insurance (never had a problem yet). I just purchased a butt load of these packets for my personal use but if anyone wants some I will sell them to anyone who wants them for $2 for 2 or $3 for 4 (shipped USPS) to cover their cost, shipping, and postage. I will not be accepting money for these until I have the lot in hand.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Water problems here too with my fogs lights. Thinking about resealig them. Think it will work?
The fog lights leaking are probably the lack of a good seal at the bulb seat. The easiest thing to do is make a better seal by liberally applying high-temp grease (lithuim grease) to the outside lip of the bulb seat. You don't want gobs of it getting into the housing, but enough to fill any irregularities between the gasket on the bulb and the housing.
You may first want to check that the bulb is not loose, that would essentially only require turing into the recepticle all the way to fix the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.