Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple coats of NuFinish polymer "wax" on my car but I'm planning on using a clay bar as soon as the weather permits. What should I use to remove this in order to have a "waxless" surface for the clay bar to work on?

I'm planning on washing, removing the wax, clay bar, scratch-x to remove swirls, then one coat of Meguir's NXT, and a booster of the NXT spary wax. Does that sound like a good plan? And as asked above, what should I use to remove the polymer wax but not damage the paint?

Thanks in advance!

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
You can safely use Dawn detergent to remove old wax, but make sure after you do all the process of claybarring and washing that you wax soon afterwards since your car will have no wax protection on it whatsoever. You should then follow through with a normal "car wash" regimen when you need to wash the car.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I was finally able to find the NXT wax at my local Walmart and have hopes of trying it out this weekend. My only issue is that I don't have a working hose right now (shut off for the winter) so I may not be able to do it since I don't trust the hose-less system to get the car 100% clean.

I didn't buy the NXT spray wax...let us know what your impression of it is after you try it out!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Vol said:
I've got a couple coats of NuFinish polymer "wax" on my car but I'm planning on using a clay bar as soon as the weather permits. What should I use to remove this in order to have a "waxless" surface for the clay bar to work on?

I'm planning on washing, removing the wax, clay bar, scratch-x to remove swirls, then one coat of Meguir's NXT, and a booster of the NXT spary wax. Does that sound like a good plan? And as asked above, what should I use to remove the polymer wax but not damage the paint?

Thanks in advance!

I personally don't use nor recommend using dawn on a car. It is good for cleaning dishes and that is how I use it.

The clay will remove the Nufinish, so why worry about it?

About your plan, remember to leave the NXT untouched for 24 hours before using ANYTHING on it, including water. The polymers need time to fully cure. Nothing bad will happed, but for maximum durability it is best to leave it alone for 24 hours.

EternalBlue, no need to be scared of the QEW getting the entire car clean. If you are thorough in your technique, you will be fine. I have done it MANY times without problems. You know how paranoid I am.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
mistaclean said:
I personally don't use nor recommend using dawn on a car. It is good for cleaning dishes and that is how I use it.

The clay will remove the Nufinish, so why worry about it?

About your plan, remember to leave the NXT untouched for 24 hours before using ANYTHING on it, including water. The polymers need time to fully cure. Nothing bad will happed, but for maximum durability it is best to leave it alone for 24 hours.

EternalBlue, no need to be scared of the QEW getting the entire car clean. If you are thorough in your technique, you will be fine. I have done it MANY times without problems. You know how paranoid I am.
Personally I have never used Dawn detergent on my car and don't plan to. Most who have done it have had good results though...emphasizing the need of course to wax right afterwards.

I have to leave the NXT wax on my car for 24 hours before buffing it out??? It gets pretty damp out here overnight, so I'm not sure how it's going to "cure". I don't think the car has ever stayed dry for a full 24 hours.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you both, but a couple questions/comments.

So the existing polymer wax will be removed by the clay bar? I figured it would act like a lubricant and a barrier between the paint and the bar. I'll just do a regular wash and dry and then use the clay bar.

24 hours cure time? I didn't see anything about that one the package or bottle. Not to be rude, but what is your source for that?

Oh and EB, I think he means after buffing, not before.

·
Registered
637 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Personally I have never used Dawn detergent on my car and don't plan to. Most who have done it have had good results though...emphasizing the need of course to wax right afterwards.

I have to leave the NXT wax on my car for 24 hours before buffing it out??? It gets pretty damp out here overnight, so I'm not sure how it's going to "cure". I don't think the car has ever stayed dry for a full 24 hours.
No,no, I meant after you remove the NXT don't use a QD or wash it for 24 hours. You only have to wait about 15-20 minutes before removing the NXT.

The polymers in the wax need time to crosslink and set up on the paint. If you notice what I noticed, you will see that NXT looks better and is slicker after a 24 hour period. This is due to the fact that it is still "working" or bonding on the surface.

After 24 hours, QD, wash, add another layer, etc. Again, this is all for MAXIMUM results and durability.

About the dawn, I just feel that high alkaline detergents do more harm than good over the long run. I mean they will eventually leech out vital oils from not only paint, but trim and moldings. Eventually these moldings will dry and crack. It also seems to me that anything that dulls the finish is working backwards. Not to mention, I have never had the need for one, just my opinion though.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
mistaclean said:
No,no, I meant after you remove the NXT don't use a QD or wash it for 24 hours. You only have to wait about 15-20 minutes before removing the NXT.

The polymers in the wax need time to crosslink and set up on the paint. If you notice what I noticed, you will see that NXT looks better and is slicker after a 24 hour period. This is due to the fact that it is still "working" or bonding on the surface.

After 24 hours, QD, wash, add another layer, etc. Again, this is all for MAXIMUM results and durability.

About the dawn, I just feel that high alkaline detergents do more harm than good over the long run. I mean they will eventually leech out vital oils from not only paint, but trim and moldings. Eventually these moldings will dry and crack. It also seems to me that anything that dulls the finish is working backwards. Not to mention, I have never had the need for one, just my opinion though.
Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up! I usually let most of the waxes set for at least a day before washing, though I do maintain the finish with a California duster. I can't wait to try this stuff out...reading the description on the package it claims to enhance and deepen the color. I'm so excited to see what it can do! :)

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Vol said:
Oh and EB, I think he means after buffing, not before.
Yeah, I realize that now. :) I've only used carnaubas thus far so didn't know if there was some special method to the NXT synthetic wax. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
Vol said:
Thanks to you both, but a couple questions/comments.

So the existing polymer wax will be removed by the clay bar? I figured it would act like a lubricant and a barrier between the paint and the bar. I'll just do a regular wash and dry and then use the clay bar.
Polymers are pretty tough. Dish detergent will remove waxes, but not polymers.
NuFinish doesn't last particularly long, so you can always wait a month and be fairly safe to say that the application has worn off. Whatever is left will be picked up by a claybar.

As for curing; got to clear up "curing" vs "drying".
Most products are dry and can be buffed off within 30 minutes.
Curing is usually in the range of 18 - 24 hours with polymers to let all the bonds seal up. During the cure time: no washing, no quick detailer, no piling on layers. Zaino ZFX is the only polymer product I've found that gives you a curing time of minutes... which is a cool selling point if you are into piling on layers. Not that it really matters, but it's fun.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Frosty said:
Polymers are pretty tough. Dish detergent will remove waxes, but not polymers.
NuFinish doesn't last particularly long, so you can always wait a month and be fairly safe to say that the application has worn off. Whatever is left will be picked up by a claybar.

As for curing; got to clear up "curing" vs "drying".
Most products are dry and can be buffed off within 30 minutes.
Curing is usually in the range of 18 - 24 hours with polymers to let all the bonds seal up. During the cure time: no washing, no quick detailer, no piling on layers. Zaino ZFX is the only polymer product I've found that gives you a curing time of minutes... which is a cool selling point if you are into piling on layers. Not that it really matters, but it's fun.
Thanks for explaining what I couln't seem to properly articulate. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool! Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to sound indignant about the cure time, and I appreciate your link. That's important stuff to know.

I think I'll just give the RSX a quick wash and dry this weekend and give the clay bar and NXT treatment to my wifes car this weekend, her wax is at least a month old. Besides, her car needs it more than mine. I'd swear she looks for fresh road tar to drive through if I didn't know better. Together we have the worst of both worlds: I've got a black RSX (swirlmarks galore) and she's got a white Murano (bugs and tar galore).

Once again thanks for all the info! :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts