Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any markings or distinctive traits that would help me determine the legitimacy of the camshafts that I just ordered?
 

·
Old member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
i dont think u can tell....the difference is too small to tell by looking and supposeldy there are no markings or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,529 Posts
you can't.

if they came in boxes with honda part #s on them you can search on here for that part #. The correct part # for both cams is on this forum. If you can't find it I have the correct part # on my boxes and can post them if you need them. Only other way to tell differences is to measure duration which is next to near impossible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
I think that they have different numbers stamped on them. Do a search, I think edo addressed this a while ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
pints99 said:
I think that they have different numbers stamped on them. Do a search, I think edo addressed this a while ago.
the numbers that are stamped on them turned out to mean nothing.
try and make sure you get them in unopened honda boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
swwifty said:
they look exactly the same as the type-s cams.
The 2 cams will look the same, but I bet the lobes on the R will be....
more aggressive.

edit:

Sorry. Didn't see your post about measuring duration. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,529 Posts
TrustRSX said:
The 2 cams will look the same, but I bet the lobes on the R will be....
more aggressive.

edit:

Sorry. Didn't see your post about measuring duration. :p
trust me I've compared them in real life, absolutely identical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Yeah, looking at the lobes with the human eye, you are not going to see the difference.
 

·
Old member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
zotex said:
the numbers that are stamped on them turned out to mean nothing.
try and make sure you get them in unopened honda boxes.

Yup, the casting numbers arent consistent. I talked to edo about this aloooong time ago when I was gonna go with this setup but didnt wanna get ripped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies, I didn't think that they would look any different, but I had hoped they would have some sort of engraving. I'll let you guys know the details once they arrive.
 

·
Jurassic Member
Joined
·
4,023 Posts
Type R Cams

The Type R cams have two ridges on them at the end of the cam where the sensor rings attach I believe. Casting numbers don't mean much. The stock Type S cams don't have the ridges and are flat on the end.

Easy... :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
if the type r and type s cams are the same, then how do the type r cams produce more hp? makes no sense.
 

·
Newbie
Joined
·
493 Posts
compdoc777 said:
The Type R cams have two ridges on them at the end of the cam where the sensor rings attach I believe. Casting numbers don't mean much. The stock Type S cams don't have the ridges and are flat on the end.

Easy... :thumbsup:
This guy is correct! :thumbsup:
 

·
You Like My Member
Joined
·
754 Posts
dc5guy said:
if the type r and type s cams are the same, then how do the type r cams produce more hp? makes no sense.

i believe the duration of the lift of the ITR cams are longer. though the lift is same. Correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
if it is just a slight difference why buy the type r cams? sounds like a waste of money, or do they creat around 20 whp? or not even that.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top