Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

it sucks. clutch gave out on me before i put it in 6th gear, i really didnt race in it but i could be that i did buy the car used. but either way, i took it to the dealer later to find out that its not even under the warrenty :jigglemad now they are charging 1,000$ if we do it with them....and thats just for labor. if i take it to a local machanic how much will i run for me? do they have to take out the engin to but in a new clutch? i dont want them ruining any wire for my sound system.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Look on the bright side, now you have an excuse to put in a lightened flywheel and LSD. Damn, mine will probaly last over 100k.

They need to pull the drive shafts and drop out the tranny. I'm not sure if they can do that without dropping the engine, too. Probably not.

Yup, clutch and brake pads are wear parts. Life of these things depends on how they're used. Acura labor will cost more than most, but they know what they are doing and stand behind the work. Call around and get some local quotes.

So you are worried about wires you ran to an amp? I ran mine along side the stock wires by the under-hood fuse box, behind the fender liner, and through a grommet by the door into the passenger compart. Keeps everything out of the way and was not that hard to do.

·
Gmen FTL
5,372 Posts
$1000+parts sounds a bit steep, but I've never had to replace the clutch on my RSX yet...

I did replace the clutch on my old '96 altima and that ran me about $800 (parts & labor).

·
Retired OG
147,491,196 Posts
1000 for labor??? damn thats a rip off....
i would do it for 350, and you could buy the part...

·
Registered
64 Posts
my dad changed his own clutch on his MR-2 so maybe they don't have to drop the engine. I'm thinking not. That sucks. So how did you know it burned out? What happened exactly?

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
9/11 RSX-s said:
They need to pull the drive shafts and drop out the tranny. I'm not sure if they can do that without dropping the engine, too. Probably not.
It can be done, but you'll have to drop your subframe, drive axles and have a really good hoist for your engine, cause without the tranny mounted, then engine is only held in place with one mount.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jada05 said:
my dad changed his own clutch on his MR-2 so maybe they don't have to drop the engine. I'm thinking not. That sucks. So how did you know it burned out? What happened exactly?
im pretty sure mr2's are a mid engine car which puts the transmission in a totally different place. it is a pain in the ass to do a front wheel drive transmission install...

Edit: and also defniltey get an aftermarket clutch/flywheel combo, if your gonna get robbed at least go for soemthing good, clutch installs have to be done well otherwise your screwed again about 3k later. either go to a reputable shop or bite the bullet for buying a used car

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
I got my clutch for 300, and install for 400.

EDIT: You need to drop the subframe and tranny.

·
Registered
932 Posts
rSaTvEeVrE said:
labor should be about 350. clutch and flywheel combo about 7-1000
yeah...that sounds about right. I spoke with acura..they charge about $75ish/hour for work. So it takes like 6 or 7 hours. So yeah...if you're gonna pay that...for SURE have them put in a LSD and lightened flywheel. shoot...I wish I got paid that much per hour :p

·
Registered
645 Posts
When I had my 97 Celica, the clutch went out after a week off the lot. I bought it from an Acura Dealership also. I was pissed because the salesman told me the tranmission and engine are in excellent shape. I took it back and confronted him that he lied and want to return the car. They offered to fix it, so I said I don't trust them and suggest a toyota dealership where one of my friend works at. Even tho the car wasn't an Acura and it was sold as is, so no warranty I still took it back and got aggressive about returning it. So they said they will fix it.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Xx Rob xX said:
im pretty sure mr2's are a mid engine car which puts the transmission in a totally different place. it is a pain in the ass to do a front wheel drive transmission install...

Edit: and also defniltey get an aftermarket clutch/flywheel combo, if your gonna get robbed at least go for soemthing good, clutch installs have to be done well otherwise your screwed again about 3k later. either go to a reputable shop or bite the bullet for buying a used car
mr2s are midengined ... they, like many mid engines, are FWD setups in between the axles behind the driver

its a horizontal mounted engine with a FWD style tranny

anyways - to change the clutch on a FWD tranny you have to pull out the drive shafts - but its very easy if youre famiilar with working on cars - and then of course you unbolt the bell housing from the engine and then pull the clutch out.....

as for the flywheel youll have to unbolt it and then put the new one on

if you do this yourself make sure you torque everything properly with a torque wrench....and grease up all the bearings

changing it is easy, getting the tranny back up is the hard part :p

RWD tranny are sooo much easier i can change most in about 45-60 minutes
FWD tranny take a good few hours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.