Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a ticket going 80mph in a 65mph zone. I'm not 18 yet but I turn 18 before my court date. Does anyone know how much bail is going to be? Is there a way I can make it cheaper? Because I heard it's about 300 dollars. It is my first ticket so maybe they'll go easy on me?? =/ I'm in S. California - San Diego.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got busted doing 144mph in Texas, I got extremely lucky in that the cop wrtoe Me down for 90 so He didn't take My white ass to jail. This was on a deserted highway btw...

I mailed my ticket in and it was for $280...

You shouldn't have to post bail because you were not arrested and 80 in a 65 is not the end of the world.

And as for making it cheaper, see if defensive driving is an option.

·
iHeartDC5's
874 Posts
sorry to here dude, but they're not taking it lightly.

chances are you first started driving, no?

i got my first ticket after 2 months after my birthday, 4 months after i got my license (within the probationary period). 70 in a 40.

$140 for ticket itself
$15 to come into DMV and pay it off in person (court fee)
$450 over next four years for drivers assesment because i got 6 points on my license for it
$75 to get a restricted license over the next two months because my license was suspended for a moving violation within the probationary period.

awesome right?

couldv'e been a set of wheels for me. :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm planning to do traffic school before my court date so I don't have the points on my record. I've been driving for about a year now. Btw, this is my boyfriend's account. Well, I don't work so I'm just worried about the fines.

Btw, Chase, it's gonna be the end of my world if this ticket is over $150. That means no car for me =( My parent's will freak.

·
oh snap!
2,960 Posts
got my first one today too

st. trooper.
54 in a 35 (which IMO is total BS, no way going over 50)

bad part was, he was nice. wasnt even a dick, so i cant be mad.
even set my court date in JUNE so i have alot of time to get the money up
i was hurrying to get to class...
f***
:shakehead

·
oh snap!
2,960 Posts
Well I'm planning to do traffic school before my court date so I don't have the points on my record. I've been driving for about a year now. Btw, this is my boyfriend's account. Well, I don't work so I'm just worried about the fines.

Btw, Chase, it's gonna be the end of my world if this ticket is over $150. That means no car for me =( My parent's will freak.
go to court and try for commuity service
works first couple times, (from what i hear)
nothing goes against your record, and the ticket is just thrown out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got my first one today too

st. trooper.
54 in a 35 (which IMO is total BS, no way going over 50)

bad part was, he was nice. wasnt even a dick, so i cant be mad.
even set my court date in JUNE so i have alot of time to get the money up
i was hurrying to get to class...
f***
:shakehead
Yeah. The cop that pulled me over was nice too... At least he didn't assign me to juvenile court. Do I still need to take a parent since I'm gonna be 18 at my court date??

·
oh snap!
2,960 Posts
i wont be 18 at my court date..
my friend got a reckless driving ticket ( swerved to miss a pothole ) and idt he took his dad up there, not 100% on that right now, but i seriously doubt his dad went.

·
I-VTEC
389 Posts
I don't know how it is there, but here in AZ you might be able to go to the class and get it removed. As long as its not over 20mph I believe you can do the class.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
it's not that big of a deal....it's just a ticket!...you wont have to post bail seeing as how you weren't arrested and you're not in jail. You're insurance rates will slightly increase, but other than that life goes on.

edit: if you are super worried about it, see if you can get a PJC (prayer for judgement) I don't know if they have those where you live, but over here you can use one of those every 3 years I think, but you can't get a ticket within a certain amount of time after that or it will come back to haunt you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
sorry to here dude, but they're not taking it lightly.

chances are you first started driving, no?

i got my first ticket after 2 months after my birthday, 4 months after i got my license (within the probationary period). 70 in a 40.

$140 for ticket itself
$15 to come into DMV and pay it off in person (court fee)
$450 over next four years for drivers assesment because i got 6 points on my license for it
$75 to get a restricted license over the next two months because my license was suspended for a moving violation within the probationary period.

awesome right?

couldv'e been a set of wheels for me. :p

LOL jesus.

During my probation period in NYC i drove like a grandma :noes:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't pay all that money hire a lawyer. I have gotten 3 tickets i am 19 years old about to turn 20. 83 in a 50, 50 in a 25, and 44 in a 35. I have gotten out of every single ticket, have not one point on my insurance. And most of the time the lawyer ends up being cheaper anyway.

·
WAHHHH!!!
539 Posts
if ur worried about ur parents just make sure you pick up A. The actual ticket and B. Certificit of completion or someshit. those are the only 2 things that came in the mail. For me at least.

but some experiance from when i got my first ticket and i was a spoiled brat and didnt want my parents to know. If you go to drivers school or someshit they take it off your record and u dont have to tell your insurance. Thats what i did.

edit: or like the guy said above fight it, there are so many ways you can get a ticket droped just because of stupid bs. need some help? http://www.beataspeedingticket.com/

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
LOL why didn't you just cry or show some ( . Y . ) ? Always works for girls around where I live.

Good thing your chronically high boyfriend wasn't with you all glass-eyed or you 2 may have been in some more trouble...

Anyway, quit freaking out, its just a ticket, they aren't gonna cut off your hand or anything.

I'm 23 and I've gotten like 5 or 6 tickets... Only thing I worry about is time period. Here in Ohio, if you get 3 tickets in a year you have to go to court for the third.

I've been in the situation 2 times where I've gotten my 2nd ticket within a year and was warned that one more before ________ date and I will have to go to court.

·
Phil's Cuzz O'
843 Posts
It's only a speeding ticket and its your first. Usually they are nice and drop it for first time offenders and may tell you to do driving school.

·
Sell me your NES games!!
5,876 Posts
it's not that big of a deal....it's just a ticket!...you wont have to post bail seeing as how you weren't arrested and you're not in jail. You're insurance rates will slightly increase, but other than that life goes on.

edit: if you are super worried about it, see if you can get a PJC (prayer for judgement) I don't know if they have those where you live, but over here you can use one of those every 3 years I think, but you can't get a ticket within a certain amount of time after that or it will come back to haunt you.
Here in MD we have PBJ: Probation Before Judgement. That means you pay the ticket but no points are assessed unless you get another ticket within 3 years.

I would go to court, be curteous and respectful (address the judge with Sir, Ma'am, or Your honor), and DRESS NICE! Don't dress like a stupid teenager in jeans or a t-shirt or dress like a slut either. Dress like you are going to a job interview for a job where you'll be making $100K a year. This helps to show the judge that your not just some idiot kid driving fast, and that the offense was probably more of an indiscretion and not that you are a scofflaw.

Everytime I've been to court for either a tickets or a subpoena, I've seen the judges be stricter and more like a parent to those people that dressed like they were going to McDonalds compared to those who dressed appropriately. If you dress like a kid, the judge is going to treat you like a kid, and then you're probably going to get lectured by the judge, in which case he'll just try to make you feel stupid and there's nothing you can say about it becuase you broke the law. Every judge has heard EVERY excuse in the book. They don't care why you did it, the fact is you did it. So your goal in court is to try and get the punishment lessened, not make excusses for your actions.

/of soapbox rant :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts