Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How da heck do some people trap over 100 mph w/ only a CAI and Hondata#4???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Good conditions is a must, practice also makes a big difference. I have gone to the track the last three weeks in a row, and each time I went, my traps got a little higher.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
they arent racing at sears... haha ive never trapped past 95.5...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
tt061880 said:
apexitypes, your time is very impressive. How do you launch your car if you don't mind me asking.
Bounching off the 5500rpm rev limiter.....I actually bogged pretty bad on my best run (14.017).....Bogged down to 3300rpm. :( Thanks to the time change, my first three runs were done when the sun was still up. The track is a lot more sticky when it's hot. If I wasn't so rusty Id be in the 13's, but that last wednesday was my 3rd time racing in a year. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
Bounching off the 5500rpm rev limiter.....I actually bogged pretty bad on my best run (14.017).....Bogged down to 3300rpm. :( Thanks to the time change, my first three runs were done when the sun was still up. The track is a lot more sticky when it's hot. If I wasn't so rusty Id be in the 13's, but that last wednesday was my 3rd time racing in a year. :(

thanks for replying, do you have new clutch or still on the stockie one? and do you feather the clutch also or just drop it at 5500?
 

·
New car again...
Joined
·
5,092 Posts
MmmotorNutz said:
How da heck do some people trap over 100 mph w/ only a CAI and Hondata#4???
Almost there.......99.65 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2ND RSX said:
Almost there.......99.65 :D
Thats my highest trap also but I have more than CAI and Ecu...then again I wasnt spinning off the line...I bogged at 4.5k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
tt061880 said:
thanks for replying, do you have new clutch or still on the stockie one? and do you feather the clutch also or just drop it at 5500?
I have a stock clutch, and I plan on keeping it for at least another 50,000 miles. ;) I really think your asking the wrong the person about launching, 2.183 is my best 60ft and thats hardly worth bragging about. However, if you must know, I try to slip the clutch just a little bit to keep the wheel spin to a minimum while still maintaining the rpms......It's something you have to learn on your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
2ND RSX said:
Almost there.......99.65 :D
Mines 99.64. Almost the same. :nervous: :wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Doesn't the lowered tire pressure also have a negative effect on trap speeds?? Coming to common ground on traction vs. trap speed seems to be key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
AZESS said:
Doesn't the lowered tire pressure also have a negative effect on trap speeds?? Coming to common ground on traction vs. trap speed seems to be key.
Thats the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
rsx_freak79 said:
probably gonna get flamed for this but i'm curious....what is trap speed?
It's the speed at which you cross the 1/4 mile. For example. [email protected] is your trap speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
rsx_freak79 said:
thanks alot apexi. kinda figured it was that but wanted to make sure. :thumbsup:
No problem, you gotta learn some how.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
It's the speed at which you cross the 1/4 mile. For example. [email protected] is your trap speed.
ALmost right, but not quite. Your trap speed is the average speed over the last 60 feet of the track, not your instant speed at the end of the track. The reason for this is that the tracks do not have anyway of measuring your instant speed (ie: radar or laser), but setting up a set of timing lights 60' before tha end and at the end, they can calculate your "trap" speed based on the time travelled over the 60'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
mikestypes said:
ALmost right, but not quite. Your trap speed is the average speed over the last 60 feet of the track, not your instant speed at the end of the track. The reason for this is that the tracks do not have anyway of measuring your instant speed (ie: radar or laser), but setting up a set of timing lights 60' before tha end and at the end, they can calculate your "trap" speed based on the time travelled over the 60'.
I actually knew this, but I didn't want to confuse the poor guy. Just FYI, some tracks DO take your actual speed, but most dont.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top