Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I believe my car jumped time, is there a way to visually tell, or is it just reset it and see if it works? I got basic car knowledge, so I am capable of setting time, though dont know how to correctly do it. I see on here how to's, but I am confused, it appears to me that those only work if everything was in its original place.

My question is, can you install the cam gears in wrong location, or do they go on one way only? Is there a way I can reset my timing with out removing timing cover? Can you install the crank pulley the wrong way(like so those dots arent TDC)?

·
Retired OG
147,491,194 Posts
Ok, I believe my car jumped time, is there a way to visually tell, or is it just reset it and see if it works? I got basic car knowledge, so I am capable of setting time, though dont know how to correctly do it. I see on here how to's, but I am confused, it appears to me that those only work if everything was in its original place.

My question is, can you install the cam gears in wrong location, or do they go on one way only? Is there a way I can reset my timing with out removing timing cover? Can you install the crank pulley the wrong way(like so those dots arent TDC)?
first off the only way to know for sure if you're timing is off...you would be throwing a CEL for it

:coffee:

·
Banned
21,941 Posts
don't understand what you're asking.

the only way to correct timing (with OEM gears) is to line them up on TDC and the hash marks. the timing chain cover will need to come off to adjust it properly, however, I have heard of just removing the valve cover and ghetto-rigging the tensioner.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I started the car, and it made a weird idle, like how some hondas have IAC problems, ya know the waaaaa phmmp, idle, then it smoothed out for a couple minutes. Operating temps got to 240* so I shut her off. The reason is cause radiator wasnt completely full, I finished topping it off. Then I cranked it again, it started and ran for almost a full minute then died. I have not been able to start the car back since. I remember when we built my head a year and a half ago, it was doing same thing, and I never threw a code, and it was a faulty timing tensioner causing it to jump time, so I bought a Toda timing tensioner. BTW ths is a full build we did, sitting at almost 12.5:1 compression with stage 3 Brian Crower cams.

·
Registered
453 Posts
coolant temp sensor? thermo switch of some sort acting up perhaps?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I was running through senarios...I remember this newer version when I loaded it on my laptop and tried getting another car going with it, it wouldnt start either, he did installed old version to get it going again...is there a glitch with Vista, also I am running Avast.

ALso I figured out how to check to see if timing is off, compression check 2 cylinders will be the same and 2 will be the same but lower, if anyone wants to know how to check, I will check these things out Friday.

·
Registered
453 Posts
HAH! VISTA messing shit up! Go figure....that os has soo many glitches to be ironed out yet. If you have a current version of XP, run that, much more stable...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I have zero axcess to XP now, I got pissed with old laptop and punched it, haha.

·
Super User
1,468 Posts
^punching laptops is cooo

·
Registered
13,538 Posts
don't understand what you're asking.

the only way to correct timing (with OEM gears) is to line them up on TDC and the hash marks. the timing chain cover will need to come off to adjust it properly, however, I have heard of just removing the valve cover and ghetto-rigging the tensioner.
NO! NO! NO!NO!NO!
removing the cover correctly involves pulling the engine, I don't know anyone who would pull the engine to "properly" set timing, when it can be done via locking the auto tensioner and removing the chain from the cams. the way you "heard" is the way EVERYONE (except for lance ;P and the people who have time to pull the engine) do it. I certainly wouldn't pay for someone to remove the engine to time my car, and I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me I had to.

oh and thread starter no offense but take it to a mechanic. you should have factored the possibility of engine problems before you decided to mod a car. I strongly recommend that you buy the helms manual for the rsx. and like it was already mentioned the check engine light would come on and you would have several codes.

I am in no way responsible for any damaged caused to a vehicle and or a person when attempting anything below. please note that this is just an overview and does not represent the entire process, refer to the helms manual or let a professional do it.

to check timing
1. remove valve cover
2. remove spark plugs
3. remove passenger wheel
4. use socket and breaker bar to turn crank shaft clockwise (forward)
5. set engine to first piston TDC (piston closest to passenger side.
6. check to see if the dashes on cam gears are lined up correctly dashes should face each other and the dots should be at the top
7. count the number of links between the exhaust cams dot and the intake cam dot. it should be 9 NINE links
8. if it turns out that the dashes don't line up the chain tensioner must be removed.

steps to remove the tensioner
1. follow steps 1-3 above.
2. the cover for the tensioner is located to the just above the crank shaft on the left side of the engine (when facing the crank shaft)
3. remove bolts from cover
4.use socket and breaker bar on crank shaft rotate counter clockwise (BACKWARD) to relieve strain on the chain
5. align the hole in the lock with the hole on the tensoiner (orange "bracket" type thing, use a 10 mm wrench to hold it)
6. insert a pin, (paper clip anything that is 1.5mm in diameter) rotate the crankshaft clock wise to secure the pin.
7. remove the tensioner.

steps to remove the chain from the cam shafts.
1. check to make sure the engine is in #1 piston TDC (the method I use is a long screw driver inserted in the spark plug hole, if you want to be anal you can check the timing marks on the crank shaft and the engine block.)
2. remove the top chain guide
3. pull up on the chain
4. use the slack to remove the chain from one of the sprockets. ( I am sure I managed to remove the chain without taking the cams out before, it's been a while though... if not then the cam holders* will have to be removed.
5. set exhaust and intake cams in time.
6. put the chain back on, check for 9 NINE links from one dot to the other dot.
7. put all back together.

*There is a specific sequence to loosen and tighten the cam holder bolts, please follow the helms manual. if this is not followed engine damage WILL occur. as well if the chain is still in tension there is a good chance the cams will become air borne and break something.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help, I think its computer problems now, haha, process of elimination on things, but the reason I think this is the error message I am getting on updating my USB driver, so I made a thread for it in the ECU tuning section. Sorry for wasting space on here, just the only thing I know to do right now. I am going to eat supper with my parents then go back out to the shop and check compression if I dont have an answer to updating my USB driver.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I am still having the driver install access denied message problem, but on another hand I did a compression check.

Cylinder #1- 50psi, #2- 70psi, #3- 65psi, and #4- 45psi

any ideas?

·
You really paid for that?
2,045 Posts
Ok, I am still having the driver install access denied message problem, but on another hand I did a compression check.

Cylinder #1- 50psi, #2- 70psi, #3- 65psi, and #4- 45psi

any ideas?
minds well pull the motor.....

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah yeah, I am afraid of that...Looks like I got a job ahead of me and some more money that I dont have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts