Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've seen this phrase more often this season than any others, and it worries me.

I do not mind that you guys are gaining confidence in your riding ability, but really, that can ultimately be your downfall.

As you gain more confidence, you might find yourself pushing more and more. Trying to get that knee down (in GK's case, elbow), or removing that last mm of chicken strips. And your skill limit goes higher and higher.

The phrase stays the same..."I know my limits and ride within them"

So if you're riding 8-9/10, within your limits on the street...you're fine right?

Ask yourself though...

Does gravel know you're riding in your limits?
Oil?
A deer?
Idiot crossing the double yellow?
Guy turning left in front of you?
Person running a red?

All of these reasons are not the riders fault, so regardless of your skill, any of these factors can easily bring a rider down. Look at Ruel's friend in his recent thread.

Please give yourself a much larger room for error/mistakes on the street.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
I concur.

My friend IS a great rider. If only you guys see how he rides on the track, and unfortunately, on twisty canyon roads.

He rides rather aggressively, and I had the feeling he would pay the price sooner or later. I'm just glad he didn't get a scratch on him.

No one really knows "his" limit until you get into an accident.

Let me confess something. I didn't tell any of you this: But last July (one month after purchasing my bike), I low/high sided while group riding through a twisty canyon road. The reason why I didn't say anything was because I knew a lot of you would flame me about it. All I heard from everyone was how I was going to go down, because "everyone, who gets a bike, goes down." I didn't believe anyone because I thought I would be the most careful rider.

There's a very fine line between riding within your limits and riding beyond your limits. And, that line is separated by only a split second....

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Shit.....I just realized that in less than one year (June 06 to now), three of my close friends went down on their bikes. One of them is dead. The other two totaled their bikes but didn't get a scratch on them.

The bikes:
2006 CBR600RR (identical to mine)
2007 CBR600RR
2002 CBR954RR

Bad luck for Honda?

·
Always Brave
67,134 Posts
Shit.....I just realized that in less than one year (June 06 to now), three of my close friends went down on their bikes. One of them is dead. The other two totaled their bikes but didn't get a scratch on them.

The bikes:
2006 CBR600RR (identical to mine)
2007 CBR600RR
2002 CBR954RR

Bad luck for Honda?
No cause take 5 other riders who don't ride Honda and someone has gone down.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I concur.

My friend IS a great rider. If only you guys see how he rides on the track, and unfortunately, on twisty canyon roads.

He rides rather aggressively, and I had the feeling he would pay the price sooner or later. I'm just glad he didn't get a scratch on him.

Let me confess something. I didn't tell any of you this: But last July (one month after purchasing my bike), I low/high sided while group riding through a twisty canyon road. The reason why I didn't say anything was because I knew a lot of you would flame me about it. All I heard from everyone was how I was going to go down, because "everyone, who gets a bike, goes down." I didn't believe anyone because I thought I would be the most careful rider.

There's a very fine line between riding within your limits and riding beyond your limits. And, that line is separated by only a split second....
Lol you told me though.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just in (from my gf)......

Another one of our friends just went down today. No joke.
What the hell is going on?
its standard this time of year.

Good weather, more bikes getting out. People rusty from not riding that much during the colder seasons. It really is nothing too out of the ordinary, which is the sad truth.

You might be hearing about it more now though since you're into the bike scene more.

8,021 Posts
I concur.

shit happens...no need to be flamed. Nothing someone says online will be worse than just looking at your bike after a crash and how you already feel

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think so. i remember him saying in some thread that he promised his gf and his mom that he would quit riding.

last fall, he hit a stopped vehicle and flipped over his handle bars and landed on the car i think. he was badly injured and stayed in the hospital for a while i think.
eek. At least he's ok.

I was wondering where that guy went. He went and got a daytona I think after selling his gs500f.

Hope he's ok.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
did he really stop riding??
PraiseTheLowered's high-side thread:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=413176

IntegraTypeR_uel said:
OMG i am very sorry!

glad to hear that you weren't hurt too badly, but i'm saddened for the bike.

i hope everything turns out good very soon. isn't this the first time you've ever gone down?????

PraiseTheLowered said:
ya my first and my last

under the crying of my lil italian mother, im throwing in the towel of riding bikes for a while. I have ROTC in my new college coming up in a year so I really cant risk another crash like this again.

Replaying it in my mind, i really should have been killed with the way i landed and how all the other cars skidded almost parallel to avoid hitting me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.