Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night when I was going home I stopped by the gas station and at the end when the pump was finished I realized I had put 87 gas in my rsx type s... I’m worried I already know what the problems I can get but I just want to know if I should just leave it on 87 until it runs out without getting any huge issues and then put 91 and fill it up or???

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just go to the store and buy a bottle of octane booster and put that in. you will be fine.

·
Waifu Deluxe
819 Posts
You'll be fine unless you're on a tune with a very small safety factor.

The engine just won't perform like it should and you'll run a lot more rich. The ECU will compensate for the fuel.

·
Registered
691 Posts
just read the bottle. Most are you add the entire bottle for one tank full of gas. If you dont use it one tank of regular will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just drive it like you're a senior citizen and you will be fine. Avoid putting it under a full load. When it gets down to half a tank, fill it up with the good stuff.
This ^
Stay away from redline. There is a knock sensor to retard timing if you use the wrong gas on accident (or just get some random bad gas). You could add the octane boost if you want to rev to redline before clearing out the crap gas.

·
NA Today
1,501 Posts
Yeah the stock ECU is pretty conservative when it comes to ignition timing. One tank won't be an issue, unless your ECU is tuned and the stock knock control logic is turned off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It’s a high compression engine, you will get knock running regular, but that’s what the knock sensor is for. Ignition will be retarded and the car will run like crap with horrible fuel economy. If you don’t have another vehicle to put the regular in then put in some octane booster and top it off with premium and don’t go WOT until the tank is empty. If it was my car, I would pull the fuel return line and run the pump to drain all of that out, I don’t like risking my engine like that. The engine should protect itself though so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I have a friend with an SI who years ago when he first got it he had no idea he had to use premium. He blew his engine after driving it that way for months. Got it replaced under warranty, then starting filling up with premium. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most octane boosters won't increase octane enough to make it worth unless you find some Torco.

Drive it gently, and at half tank fill it up with the highest octane gas you can find. As others have said the ECU will retard timing as much as it can to avoid knock, but there is only so much it can do with high compression pistons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.