Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, ive been at this crank pulley for 2 days now, trying to take off the head. its on there soooo good. ive broken 3 1/2' breaker bars, tried to use my impact...which is cheap and rated at like 250 ft/lbs...and ive been tugging and pulling a lot. nothing seems to get it. its been pb blastered, and i have the honda tool and have been using that.

well nows heres the good part, the pulley is starting to crack where the tool goes into it. im afraid that if i crank on it with new breaker bars, that its just gonna break the pulley, and then itll never come off.

i dont have the funds to buy a new compressor and a nice impact, but might look into renting them. i may give it another try but with heating the bolt, then slashing water on it before i crank on it again to maybe break something loose.

i need help here guys, it seems so simple, but it feels like theres 1000 ft/lbs on this thing. i mean 2 foot breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater bar...and all that happens is the pulley starts to crack.

HELP!!! give me any kind of ideas, no matter how small. post something.

thanks

adam

·
Hi there
696 Posts
Find someone with a better impact gun, My Ingersoll is rated for 600 lbft in reverse and that has a hard time on some pulley bolts and i have to use another techs IR Titanium which is rated at 1000 lb ft reverse and that gun wont even hesitate taking it off.

As far as cracking the crank pulley you might have to get a new pulley because that pulley is perfectly balanced to the engine and by cracking it and throwing it off balance you can have some serious problems in the future.

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
I don't want anything bad to happen , but i will share with you what I've used for years , to get crank pulley bolts off . Arrange the power bar against a frame member / sub frame on the proper side so when you turn the starter over it will force the bolt against the power bar and socket, and that will usually pop the bolt free .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ehhh, i cant do the starter thing, the head is almost completely off, and too many parts are off of it to do that.

any other ideas? i need this thing off tomarrow.

adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts